Awake under anesthesia??!!?!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by visceral_instinct, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

According to the opening text of the movie Awake, 1 in 700 people wake up during surgery. They can't scream or anything because they are injected with a muscle relaxant.

Is there anything you could do about it like leave one limb unparalyzed, so you could flex your hand or something to tell them you were awake?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Archie Registered Senior Member

I think a better plan is never to need surgery.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The anesthesiologist is supposed to be monitoring for that - it's visible in a variety of indicators from heart rate to respiratory effects, long before actual consciousness.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Supposed to be, being the operative word.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

VI sadly there is no way to leave a single limb unparlaised that i know of. The drugs themselves which knock you out are the ones which paralise your body. As Iceaura says it is mostly the fault of the anesthesiologists but not always, there are some people it just wont work on no matter what they do. The only way that i can think of would be to do it twice, knock them out and then when they wake up ask did they rember anything. However that comes with its own risks as well and isnt really a good idea.

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Couldn't they inject your spine? At least unless you were having surgery on your head? That would both anesthetize and paralyze you...?

10. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Is there any evidence that this actually occurs and is anything other than a movie plot device?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It seems to me that this needs to be established before you invest time and effort exploring ways to prevent something that probably doesn’t happen in the first place.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

Spinal injections are risky, as the needle could damage a nerve, with disastrous results.

12. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.