Mannerisms

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Orleander, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is the way a child smiles or tilts their head picked up from watching their parents or is the child born with that mannerism?
    After seeing a blind child tilt her head the exact same way her Dad does, I think you can be born with mannerism. Or is what I saw a fluke?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. LadyMidnight Catherine J. Registered Senior Member

The "Nature Vs. Nurture" debate is still going strong and both sides have some very valid points. But I tend to favor nature a bit more. One reason being that my father passed away when I was a baby yet my family, especially mom, always points out that so many of my mannerisms and behaviors mimic his to a tee. Everyone says I have his distinct "power" walk, and I even favor the same slang words. It's weird.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Lady M. Thanks for the input. That's what I was wondering.
    But how? How could a mannerism be inherited? I can understand personality or body features, but...a mannerism.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Mannerisms are movements. Many movements are not consciously controlled, but are directed by our personality. If bits of our personality can be inherited, then why cannot some of those bits be the ones that direct movements?