Arithmetic is Object Collection

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by coberst, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coberst Registered Senior Member

Arithmetic is Object Collection

It is a hypothesis of SGCS (Second Generation Cognitive Science) that the sensorimotor activity of collecting objects by a child constitute a conceptual metaphor at the neural level leading to a primary metaphor that ‘arithmetic is object collection’. The arithmetic teacher attempting to teach the child at a later time depends upon this already accumulated knowledge. Of course, all of this is known to the child without the symbolization or the conscious awareness of the child.

The pile of objects became ‘bigger’ when the child added more objects and became ‘smaller’ when objects were removed. The child easily recognizes while being taught arithmetic that 5 is bigger than 3 and 3 is littler than 7. The child knows many entailments, many ‘truths’, resulting from playing with objects. The teacher has little difficulty convincing the child that two collections A and B are increased when another collection C is added, or that if A is bigger than B then A+C is bigger than B+C.

At birth an infant has a minimal innate arithmetic ability. This ability to add and subtract small numbers is called subitizing. (I am speaking of a cardinal number—a number that specifies how many objects there are in a collection, don’t confuse this with numeral—a symbol). Many animals display this subitizing ability.

In addition to subitizing the child, while playing with objects, develops other cognitive capacities such as grouping, ordering, pairing, memory, exhaustion-detection, cardinal-number assignment, and independent order.

Subitizing ability is limited to quantities 1 to 4. As a child grows s/he learns to count beyond 4 objects. This capacity is dependent upon 1) Combinatorial-grouping—a cognitive mechanism that allows you to put together perceived or imagined groups to form larger groups. 2) Symbolizing capacity—capacity to associate physical symbols or words with numbers (quantities).

“Metaphorizing capacity: You need to be able to conceptualize cardinal numbers and arithmetic operations in terms of your experience of various kinds—experiences with groups of objects, with the part-whole structure of objects, with distances, with movement and location, and so on.”

“Conceptual-blending capacity. You need to be able to form correspondences across conceptual domains (e.g., combining subitizing with counting) and put together different conceptual metaphors to form complex metaphors.”

Primary metaphors function somewhat like atoms that can be joined into molecules and these into a compound neural network. On the back cover of “Where Mathematics Comes From” is written “In this acclaimed study of cognitive science of mathematical ideas, renowned linguist George Lakoff pairs with psychologist Rafael Nunez to offer a new understanding of how we conceive and understand mathematical concepts.”

“Abstract ideas, for the most part, arise via conceptual metaphor—a cognitive mechanism that derives abstract thinking from the way we function in the everyday physical world. Conceptual metaphor plays a central and defining role in the formation of mathematical ideas within the cognitive unconscious—from arithmetic and algebra to sets and logic to infinity in all of its forms. The brains mathematics is mathematics, the only mathematics we know or can know.”

We are acculturated to recognize that a useful life is a life with purpose. The complex metaphor ‘A Purposeful Life Is a Journey’ is constructed from primary metaphors: ‘purpose is destination’ and ‘action is motion’; and a cultural belief that ‘people should have a purpose’.

A Purposeful Life Is A Journey Metaphor
    A purposeful life is a journey.
    A person living a life is a traveler.
    Life goals are destinations
    A life plan is an itinerary.

This metaphor has strong influence on how we conduct our lives. This influence arises from the complex metaphor’s entailments: A journey, with its accompanying complications, requires planning, and the necessary means.

Primary metaphors ‘ground’ concepts to sensorimotor experience. Is this grounding lost in a complex metaphor? ‘Not by the hair of your chiney-chin-chin’. Complex metaphors are composed of primary metaphors and the whole is grounded by its parts. “The grounding of A Purposeful Life Is A Journey is given by individual groundings of each component primary metaphor.”

The ideas for this post come from “Philosophy in the Flesh”. The quotes are from “Where Mathematics Comes From” by Lakoff and Nunez

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

Are you putting us on?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

"Philosophy of the Flesh" was written by George Lakoff and Mark Johnson.

"Where Mathematics Come From" by George Lakoff and Rafael Nunez.

Coberst, can you please cite proper references (at the very least the date, the books were published) when citing and quoting from books please.

Thank you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. coberst Registered Senior Member

Why?

8. Bells Staff Member

Why cite your references? You actually need to ask that?:bugeye:

9. coberst Registered Senior Member

I did give the reference in my OP and apparently you did not see it or some strange happening.

10. Bells Staff Member

You call that references?

^ is a reference? For the first book, you didn't even name the authors. You didn't even provide the year the books were published. Nor the page numbers from where the quotes were taken. Now, I would advise you to please provide proper references when quoting from books or from anywhere for that matter. If you are unable or unwilling to do so, then I will shut the thread down until you are able to provide them.

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Thank you Bells. A million thanks. I utterly retract any and every word of implicit or explicit criticism of any of your ideas, beliefs, interpretations, expositions, pet 'theories', etc that you have made at any time on sciforums.

Coberst has been plying his trade of spewing forth the works of others (with no clear demarcation whatsoever as to what is his and what is not) in fora across the internet under the pretence that he is engaged in critical thinking.

His approach is self-indulgent, self-aggrandising, morally bankrupt and devoid of any form of criticial thinking whatsover. You are the first moderator on any forum who has actually called him on any aspect of his public masturbation.

I fully understand that addressing that single point in no way indicates you endorse any of the strongly phrased diatribe I have written above. Nevertheless, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Did I cover the bit where I want to thank you?

12. coberst Registered Senior Member

One learning handicap we suffer from a dysfunctional educational system is trivial pursuit. It is much like the untrained bird dog that chases the first rabbit that jumps up and then the second, then the third…I think that it is called ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder).

13. Bells Staff Member

In other words, you have taken quotes from a book, without citing the authors of the book, the page numbers where the quotes were taken from, nor the year the book was published. You have also done the same by taking ideas from the book without citing it. Having done all that, you seem to be under the incorrect assumption that you are not or should not be required to cite any of your resources for your 'ideas' or you quotes, thinking that a passing mention of the name of the books and the surname of just one book mention, would somehow be enough. I have advised you that your manner of referencing is not enough. I even went so far as to give you the correct names of the authors for both books and had the expectation and understanding that you would provide the page numbers and at the very least, the year the books were published in good faith. After all, we can assume that you have read the books and know where you copied the quotes from, as well as where you got your ideas from. Are we wrong in that assumption?

Having said that, I did warn you that I would close down this thread (and others) if you are unable to cite your references, which would not only include the correct authors of the book, the book's title, the year it was published and if quoting directly from the text, the page number from where you copied the quote. I am not asking for much. I could go the whole way and demand the publisher's place.. in other words, I could demand proper and exact referencing as one would be forced to give in a submitted paper, but I am not. Instead, I am giving you the chance to provide only the basic information. It is not only polite, but also the legal way. Had you been copying your ideas and quotes from a website, a simple link to the site would have been sufficient.

I will be closing this thread. If you decide to cite the proper references/resources, you can PM me with the information and I shall re-open this thread and allow the discussion to continue. Until then, this and any other thread you decide to cite the ideas of others, quote others and then not reference it properly will be closed immediately. If you are unhappy with that decision, you are free to PM me and/or the Administrators of this site with your concerns.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.