Do you think we should revive the Neanderthals?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by At World's End, Dec 25, 2008.

1. At World's End Registered Member

Now that the Neanderthal Genome Project, equally massive as the Human Genome Project, is near completion?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If so, what will be the social impact of such a revival?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Glaswegians will be unnerved.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Finally, we be able to legally hunt the ultimate prey...test tube neanderthals. Seriously, though,who the Hell is going to allow a bunch of those things to grow insider her? There are no artificial wombs around just yet. Are the scientists going to pay her $1 million, or find a woman willing to do it for science? She'll need to be implanted with a number of them too, to ensure likely viability for one or two.

Then what? So we lock them in a lab and subject them to tests, or send them to child protective services? Suppose their intelligence is different from ours, making it hard to integrate them, who gets them when they can't fend for themselves? It''s an important question given the genetic diseases they are likely to face due to the imperfections in the cloning proceed, and somebody has to pay for them.

The only reason I can see to bring them back is to stuidy them, but once back there is zero chance we will allow them to be hominid guinea pigs, so studying them is out. So there is no reason to bring them back.

Nature made her choice, and showed them to the exit. Whty sneak them back in?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. orcot Valued Senior Member

In a hurry

I would like to find out

Sociological studies aren't that crule yust invasive to their privacy.

Then again if it got's any brains at all it would use advantage of the fact that he's a other species and charge them for it.

Because of the drake equation their probably plenty of places in the universe with single celled organisms a few perhaps with more advanced life forms and little to none intilligent life forms.

homo sapiens Neanderthals, Homo sapiens idaltu, Homo rhodesiensis,Homo heidelbergensis, Homo erectus
    are probably the only avaible other sentient beings that are within our grasps.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why bring them back? They went extinct for various reasons didn't they. I don't understand the reason to even bother with such an idea for there are so many other more important things to do in science than something as ridiculous as this idea of bringing them back. Those who think they should be brought back are very few in number, thankfully. Let us move ahead in science not go back.

9. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Studying the past in more detail is not equal to regressing back in time.

The main problems will be ethical considerations, but an experiment such as this could teach us so much. Not only would we learn a lot about Neanderthal man, but about what it means to bring back something long extinct.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

Most of all it would learns us something abouth sentience, not?

11. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

There are billions of people on this planet, all sentient, whom I will never meet and never know, so what's the big deal about having more, but having their be a different species?

The big thing about meeting intelligent aliens (if there are any) to me would be for their different culture and their accumulated knowledge, not that they'd be sentient in some abstract sense. In this case, thee only culture and information the clones hominids would have wouyld be that which we impart to them.

As for sociological studies, I think you need to have a society of them for sociologists to have anything to say. Are you proposing we breed them in vast numbers?

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

Offcourse not their are more then 6 billion people allready. But maybe 50-200.

This is a time where people study the sociology of dolphines, so their is always something interesting to learn.

Their brains might develop differently maturing more rapid/slower and it might age differently giving us a deeper understanding on how sentient brains develop and wear down.

biological, sociological, psychological,...
    There numerous reasons why we should revive them if we could and honnestly their not that many reasons not to that make sence.

13. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Yes.

14. Pronatalist Registered Senior Member

Sure, why not? What's a few billions more people?

How about we breed the people already alive, in vast numbers. Do we need more competition, for an increasingly "crowded" planet?

Weren't Neanderthals, among the evolutionary frauds, concocted imaginary species created out of things like a pig's tooth?

Surely we don't need bizarre Jurrasic Park type experiments? BTW, I've never seen that movie. Let's not breed the monsters, as we need to expand habitat for the growing human populations around the planet. Keep the planet human-friendly for us.

Now I am in favor of welcoming proper immigrants who have sponsors, money, or are willing to work jobs to support their growing families. If hypothetically, human immigrants were to come from other planets, sufficiently like us, they probably should be welcomed as well, as I don't believe in population "control" for humans. Let people increasingly fill up and "crowd" the planet, as they can or will.

But I don't think there will be any "Neanderthals" to have to share our land with, anyway.

15. Bricoleur Registered Member

Could they be a source of genome/s more suitable for off-planet settlement than us, H.sapiens sapiens? More robust, better suited to colder conditions on, say, Mars?
    The whole ethical debate involved in genetic engineering is yet to be fully considered, from organ replacement to disease resistance in humans, to stem cell research, and to me this possibility is yet another angle. We haven't finished with it, and because of fear, or religious restraint, there is yet to be a consensus. Maybe then a more informed decision can be made about bringing Neanderthals back to life.

16. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

*Tries desperately not to curse*
    Spot on mate.

Look, people are not proposing to bring back Neanderthals in order to increase diversity on earth. Studying a living specimen could teach us much about their anatomy, their intelligence level etc. and essentially what it means to carry out this type of 'revival' experiment. Not every thread is about population control, no matter how much you want it to be.​

17. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Stupid Neaderthals, they're just gonna go extinct again