Do we reach adolescence too early in modern cultures?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, Dec 23, 2008.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I just read Why We Love and The First Sex by Helen Fisher. In both of these she describes how in hunter/gathering societies in so called developing countries, girls often do not reach puberty until 16/17 and are often subfertile until 18-20 because they eat a lot of lean foods and get a lot of exercise, whereas girls in industrial societies reach puberty around 12/13 as a result of more fat and less exercise.

Do you think it is in fact unnatural for girls to go through puberty at 12/13?

I know I would rather have not had all that shit hit me until around 16/17. I think 12 or 13 is too young to start morphing into an adult.

Also, girls in those societies are more free to experiment with sex because they are subfertile until much older, thus teen pregnancy is less of a problem.

Thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

You answered your own question.

Do you think hunter-gatherers are more natural than we are? There is a school of thought that says that skyscrapers are just as natural as beaver dams.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I asked for other people's thoughts, not just the answer to a question.

Ok, I'll rephrase myself.

Would it be healthier to reach puberty later? Less issues? More time to be a kid?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

I think it is weird when girls show there "womenhood" at an early age, my cousin was 11 when she had her first menstrual cycle and I did at 16, and did have sex until 18, I feel this process of my formation has made me much better of than if I had developed earlier in my life, at say about 11-13.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I think early puberty is definitely a bad thing, you don't get time to be a kid.

I can't believe people actually get told to see a doctor if they don't menstruate at 15/16 or so.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When we are young we want to be older, when we are old we want to be young again. Ironic isn't it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I didn't say anything about age or youth, I was talking about the process of puberty.

11. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

I think I heard that the female body's optimum age to get pregnant is 15.
    It's natural I suppose but in an emotional sense that's way too young obviously.

Anyway, people can't help going through puberty. It's not like one child is going to say "I'm gonna start my period at 13" and another one says "ew, I'm gonna start mine at 16"

I think the way we've evolved with better nutrition, less disease etc. means that people are starting adolescence and puberty much younger than they did a couple of hundred years ago but I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing.

We're not living in an innocent world so it's unlikely that anyone is going to stay innocent or ignorant of the bad things in the world for too long anyway.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I know , I was just waxing philosophically there with you.

I really don't have much worry about such things as they will happen when they will happen.

13. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Twas ever thus though eh?
    I'm pretty happy with my age right now.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I thought there were quite a few disorders that are more likely when the mother is very young...

Also, you're still growing at 15, it would seriously mess up your skeleton.

I agree we don't live in an innocent world...still, better if you don't have to grow up too early.

15. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

I'm not saying that's fact, I just thought I heard it quite a while ago. Could be wrong!

Yeah that's true, I think as it is now is pretty good. The earlier people know about the bad things in life the earlier they'll be able to protect themselves from them. That's my theory anyway.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The age of puberty has been falling steadily for almost 200 years, which may merely be about as long as anyone has been keeping track. In some European countries in 1840, the typical age of menarche was 17. In Japan the drop was more recent and more precipitous, three years between 1945 and 1975.

The correlation I see cited consistently is nutrition, with prenatal nutrition playing a specific role. Homo sapiens is the only species of ape whose nutritional processes have adapted to a carnivorous diet. Our intestines are an order of magnitude shorter than those of gorillas or chimpanzees, who can digest uncooked cellulose. Our Paleolithic and Mesolithic ancestors were hunters for whom meat was the primary component of the diet. But after the Agricultural Revolution began eight to eleven thousand years ago (depending on where your ancestors lived), those ancestors switched to a grain-intensive diet, which is not what our bodies are "designed" for. Vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies were epidemic, and presumably they delayed menarche. It wasn't until the nineteenth century that science began to be applied to nutrition, and we see the effect on menarche in the statistics.

This is mirrored in the microcosm of Japan, a quintessentially grain-intensive culture that suddenly became enthusiastic meat-eaters after WWII.

But there are other correlations which are not so easy to analyze. The one I encountered often in a quick Google was single parenthood. Girls whose mothers are divorced and/or have multiple (or no) domestic partners start puberty much younger than girls in stable two-parent homes. Cause-and-effect has been hypothesized in both directions.
    • Hypothesis #1. Cultural cause yields biological effect. Girls who grow up with the expectation that men don't stick around to help raise their children will want to have their own children when they're younger and stronger, and more able to endure the rigors of single motherhood. A culture of uncommitted fathers will have a higher mortality rate of both mothers and infants among women who delay pregnancy until later in life, and natural selection will result in the predominance of early menarche.
    • Hypothesis #2. Biological cause yields cultural effect. Women who develop a robust libido when they're still emotionally immature are likely to have multiple partners and experience pregnancy and childbirth while young. Both of these phenomena discourage boys and young men from marrying them and becoming live-in fathers. A society of horny, promiscuous young girls will turn into a culture of single mothers.
    I don't know which of these hypotheses is more believable. I find them both rather far-fetched and perhaps just a tiny bit insulting, which makes me think they were formulated by men.

I doubt that enough research has been done yet to prove or disprove either one--or both.

17. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I think it just means your healthier. I started puberty at about 9 or so, had my first period at 11 and I'm glad I didn't have to deal with all of that in high school, I felt like I had more time to get to know my body. If I hadn't started puberty until 17 or 18. I'd still have to deal with the nuances of a constantly changing body along with finishing college and deciding on a career and getting married, college is not the best time to feel physically awkward. It would be another added stress for me. Although I know I'm not completely finished growing, but the slight changes I experience now aren't dramatic nor are they stressful. I'm glad I'm finished with puberty. Whenever I had an issue with my body my parents were there for me, now I'm on my own.

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I guess I'm just strange regards wishing I'd started puberty later.

I recoiled at the whole idea of womanhood. I felt like my identity was gone and I was nothing more than a raging bag of sexual organs. That and ASD related shit - I was VERY asocial and cold at that age - was really not a recipe for fun.

19. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Heh, reminds me of that one fake George Carlin chain-letter:

"Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited
    about aging that you think in fractions. "How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!"

You're never thirty-six and a half. You're four and a half, going on
    five! That's the key. You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead. "How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16!

And then the greatest day of your life . . . you become 21. Even the
    words sound like a ceremony . . . YOU BECOME 21. . . YEAS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk. He TURNED, we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40.

Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 . . . and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60.

You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a
    day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday! You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime.

And it doesn't end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; "I was JUST 92." Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!"

- N

20. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

This conflicts with studies I've read that describe our mid to late teens as the time our bodies are most ready to have children.
    Stone Age woman died relatively very young, therefore her fertility peaked at a time corresponding to a shorter life-span. Wouldn't a Stone-Age girl have been subjected to lean foods and a lot of exercise?

21. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Good post.

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I honestly don't know. I just went with what the book said to be honest.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sure, but that's all part of the whole-body preparation that we call "puberty." If the hormones and the physiological capacity for copulation start a couple of years earlier, presumably so does everything else.
    Actually, at the end of the Mesolithic Era the life expectancy of an adult Homo sapiens who had managed to survive the perils of childhood was in the low fifties. Sure, childbirth was a major cause of death for women, but it was mirrored for men in the risks of hunting and primitive inter-clan warfare. It wasn't until the Agricultural Revolution was in full swing and humans were subsisting on a nutritionally worthless grain-intensive diet, without vitamin, mineral and amino-acid supplements, that life expectancy plummeted, and it didn't start a serious recovery until the 19th century.

For Homo neanderthalensis it was different. Their lifespan was much shorter.