Kids Who Get a Deficit of Attention

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by lixluke, Dec 17, 2008.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I was listening to more stuff about ADD and anti-ADD or whatever. Then this thought occured to me. I prefer to consider Attention Deficit Disorder to be the disorder in which kids don't get enough attention from their payrents.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It could be that then again it could be they are just lazy little bastards as well.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Or it could be a natural reaction to a world that's a lot more hectic and information saturated than it was 20 years ago.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Or it could be our brains are wired a little differently...my parents gave me lots of attention. Giving me attention isn't going to help me get through one of Tiassa's full length posts.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

ive always understood ADD to be an inability to focus on mundane tasks, IMO the people with the disorder are those who CAN sit down and read something completely uninteresting for hours on end.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It's called "self discipline". And it's something that people today just don't have and can't get ....because of their immense, overwhelming ego.

Baron Max

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, my god, ya' mean I might have ADD, too?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hell, I can't get through one of Fraggle's wordy fuckin' posts, either. Is that a separate disease?

Baron Max

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It is impossible for a child to fail school. The only thing that happens is school fails the child. If a child has not learned, then the school has failed at its purpose. The inefficient incompetent schools are the ones that are failing at educating. Not the kids.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

That's the attitude that fosters ADD and other made up conditions. In school, you shut the fuck up and pay attention. A school is there to educate the masses, not devote time to some snot nose who won't play nice, at the cost of the kids who will.

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes yes and how many kids do you have?

i have 3 kids 2 of which have adhd, and it is not due to lack of attention from myself or they're father, i am fed up with people thinking it is due to bad perants,

Attention deficit disorder is a brain disorder, and due to lack of chemicals in the brain, the attention part is they cannot hold attention like other people can and will flit from one thing to anouther quickly, deficit means not enough chemicals,

apart from being at school 9 to 3:30 i have my children with me all the time, so how can anyone say that it is lack of attention from mums and dads?

==================

Things that don't cause ADHD:
    Bad parenting
    Too much sugar
    Too little sugar
    Aspartame (brand name: Nutrasweet)
    Food additives or colorings
    Food allergies or other allergies
    Lack of vitamins
    Fluorescent lights
    Too much TV
    Video games

===============

What causes ADHD?
    Children who have ADHD do not make enough chemicals in key areas in the brain that are responsible for organizing thought. Without enough of these chemicals, the organizing centers of the brain don't work well. This causes the symptoms in children who have ADHD. Research shows that ADHD is more common in children who have close relatives with the disorder. Recent research also links smoking and other substance abuse during pregnancy to ADHD.

=========

Myth #1: ADHD is a "phantom disorder".
    FACT: The existence of a neurobiological disorder is not an issue to be decided by the media through public debate, but rather as a matter of scientific research. Scientific studies spanning 95 years summarized in the professional writings of Dr. Russell Barkley, Dr. Sam Goldstein, and others have consistently identified a group of individuals who have trouble with concentration, impulse control, and in some cases, hyperactivity. Although the name given to this group of individuals, our understanding of them, and the estimated prevalence of this group has changed a number of times over the past six decades, the symptoms have consistently been found to cluster together. Currently called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, this syndrome has been recognized as a disability by the courts, the United States Department of Education, the Office for Civil Rights, the United States Congress, the National Institutes of Health, and all major professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, and educational associations.

================================

so i think your very very wrong, and perhaps you should read more about the condition you are slating perents for before you open your mouth

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

lix,

Wrong. I'm going to have to go with Luci on this, as I have ADHD as well (albeit only a mild case).
    For me, trying to focus is kinda like being in a room with four TVs on. Three of them are turned up loud and one is turned down low (assume you are not allowed to touch the volume or power button), and you're trying to watch the TV with the volume down.

Also, when gone untreated for extended periods of time, ADHD can also cause anxiety and depression.

ADHD patients can totally blow off something that they aren't interested in, yet can become hyper-focused on things that do interest them.
    Sound like your kids, Luci?

I was not diagnosed with ADHD until I was 33. This was discovered when I just couldn't focus anymore at work. I had to go see the doc to see if there was anything she could do. She gave me a test and from my answers, diagnosed me with ADHD, and prescribed Daytrana, a patch that contained the same stimulant you find in Ritalin. That helped immensely.

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

very much so, they will concentrate on somthing to the point where they wont even talk for hours,

people i find are ignorant to ADHD, i wander if they will say that illnesses like "cancer, insomina" is due to lack of good peranting i some how dont think so

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sounds like a lack of self-discipline. Why can't ADHD learn to discipline themselves like most everyone else? In other words, it seems to me that anyone could "fake" ADHD just because they don't want to do something.

Kids learn quickly to blame someone/something for something that they do or don't do. And parents who coddle that kind of behavior do nothing but reinforce the kids' "don't give a shit" attitude toward self-discipline.

Baron Max

17. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

So why can't clinically depressed people just cheer themselves up like most everyone else?

Just as the alcoholic can force himself not to have a drink... but he's still an alcoholic....

I can force myself to pay attention to something if I have too, but it's a struggle to keep my mind from wandering. It's not a lack of discipline...it's just the way our brains are wired.

It also give the ability to many things at once..so i guess its a tradeoff.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think they can ....they just don't want to. Or worse, they're using it to gain sympathy for some personal problem(s). It's easier to blame some "disease" than to get you're ass up and get back into the game.

They can quit if they wanted to. I've personally known several alcoholics who simply quit drinking.

Sounds like a good excuse for not paying attention when it's necessary. I think I'll start using that excuse. Hell, maybe all people should use that excuse, then no one will ever have to do anything again. Everyone can just lie on their asses and have others wait on them.

I have that same ability ....but I don't have ADZXUTDA!

"I don't want to do something ....so I'll just blame something else for it!"

Baron Max

19. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Kids normally don't diagnose themselves with ADHD. And if your kid is having problems in school it's your responsibility as a parent to find out why. When you hang around people who have ADHD you can definatley see the difference between them and people who don't have it. They can't sit still, they change conversation topics abruptly, they can't focus on more than one thing at a time so giving them to many directions at once is a bad idea. I deal with my mother, brother, boyfriend and the few kids who I take care of at the center all of the time. When you deal with people with ADHD, even kids who don't know they have it, you can tell that there is something different about the way they behave.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes. Sometime during the last couple of decades they invented the concept of "quality time," to assuage the guilt of parents who were never home. It's okay if you're not home much, as long as when you are home, you engage in intensive bonding rituals.

I've never been a parent, but I've had lots of dogs and it dawned on me that dogs don't give a fig about what you do when you're there--if anything. It just makes them feel good to have you around. Looking back on my own childhood, I figure children are probably the same way. We're both pack-social species. We like to be around our pack-mates. They don't need quality time, they need quantity time.

21. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

children and dogs are total differant things, you said yourself that you dont have children so therefore you have no or little idea how to raise children,

yes it is important that quality time is good, and should be encouraged, however ADHD is a recognised MEDICAL condition just like cancer and many other illnesses are, and untill people who are at the moment knocking the perants of ADHD children have children of they're own perhaps they should not be so forcefull in saying "ADHD is due to bad perenting"

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

It's not a lack of self-discipline, but I can see where you're coming from.
    Sure, I have the ability to 'force' myself to pay attention, but it's much more difficult for me than a person w/o any mental disorders. Even when I'm forcing myself to pay attention to something, my mind still wanders.
    Think of it like trying to control a wide open fire hose...by yourself.
    Another way to look at it is,
    I have an extremely fast metabolism. I can eat what I want and stay trim.
    People with slow metabolisms cannot do the same thing w/o gaining weight; obese people with slow metabolisms could be slim like me, but unfortunately with their slow metabolism, they have to work much harder than I do to keep my weight down. Just like I have to work harder to focus than people who don't have this condition.

Like I said, I didn't know I had it until I was 33. When doc told me though, a lot of things that had happened in my life became much clearer; in the sense of why I acted a cetain way towards something.

23. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Nicely said. I was about the same age when I was diagnosed.