Expert Opinion Required

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Joeman, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Does it make the most economical sense to buy or to lease a car? What are the advantages and disavantages?

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Memnoch_The_Devil Registered Member

If you can't afford to buy a car do not lease one, it's a complete waste of money. Hold onto what you have and wait until you can get a car.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I CAN afford a car. Money is not really that big of a deal. Actually I just want to know what are advantages of leasing. I am thinking about leasing right now because that means I can try different cars. I think not owning one maybe is an advantage. I don't have to worry about selling it. I really don't know the price difference though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Northwind Master of Anvils Registered Senior Member

Leases are a complete scam. They get you to pay for it and keep it up like you own it, for 2 years or more, then at the end, you have to pay a huge fee and still don't have the car. Makes no sense at all. Buy a car, get something economical and not extravagant, and drive it until it collapses. If you don't get 10 years out of it, you wasted money.

8. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I never heard about a huge fee in the end before. What would cause you to pay a huge fee?

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Most leases have a set mileage that you are allowed during the lease. If you exceed that lease mileage then you owe whatever you agreed to when you signed the lease. 10ยข a mile is not uncommon.

After the terms of the lease are expired you have nothing to show for your money.

An advantage of leasing is if you own a business and need a tax break. Still I would not. I can not. I simply drive to many miles a year for a lease. There comes a day when you no longer owe payments when you buy.

10. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Leasing a Car

Joeman, it's the most expensive way to obtain a car. A low down payment and smaller monthly payments are the principal advantages of leasing. I suggest leasing if you own a small business, since you won't want to get tied up in lines of credit by financing new cars. Also, leasing is useful for young professional people (if you are one) who have high incomes but little or no savings accumulated. I don't recommend it for average customers to obtain cars, since it will eat away your income. After you make the payments, you own nothing and have nothing to trade toward your next vehicle. So that sucks.

11. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

The Chosen,

I think that makes a lot of sense.

12. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Wayyyyyyyyy better to actually buy your car, and when you do, make sure you buy it from a dealer way the hell in the middle of now where since cars are usually cheaper the further they are from civilization.

If you're considering a Dodge, then you're wasting your money. I'd reccommend going with GMC or Subaru. My personal favourites.

But remember. If you can, you should buy your car.

13. Deepuz Registered Senior Member

If you appear serious about buying a car, then you should be able to get all the free test drives you need. No point in paying for them. I'd agree with those that suggest buying over leasing, if you have the money.

14. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

And never, ever, buy anything by Ford cos they're shite!!

15. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

Yes ford is shit, but in my opinion leasing is a waste of money look very carefully until you find a car you really like and buy it. There is not set mileage or fees for going over it, you can do anything you want to it, like paint it or put rims on it and so on. I think you would be happier to buy then to lease and change cars every 2 years. And remember you can never go wrong with a classic.

16. sinecure71 Registered Senior Member

Buy a used Honda accord and drive it for over 200000 miles!

17. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

My 1990 Ford Festiva (high performance model) is a death-dealing speed machine, and going on 300,000 miles. I bought it for $1500, in cash.

Talk about deal of the century!

18. Giskard brainious maximus Registered Senior Member

Best time to buy a car: last week of the last month of the quarter, best yet end of Sept. Most dealers have monthly and quarterly quotas to meet which gives them much more incentive to make a deal. Sometimes making the quota earns them more money than the profit on the sale that put them over the top. Of course they never tell you this, but keep it in mind when bargaining. Also, by the end of Sept dealers are getting nervous about all the new models coming in and will want to reduce inventory. Another trick is never tell them you are trading in your car. When you have negotiated the price you are comfortable with and they put it on paper, then hit them with the trade in. This will give you the maximum cash discount they will give in to. If they cry about your tactics, threaten to go elsewhere. Hang tough and always remember, car slaesman are NOT liable for anything they say or promise unless it is in writing! Shut your ears and make them put it on paper before signing anything.

Good Luck!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!