The limits of delusion and stupidity, and are they mutually exclusive?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by LogicTech, Dec 14, 2008.

1. LogicTech Registered Member

After RetardedThought's awesome display of inanity (I'm not even going to respond to his last post, I might start losing IQ points if I go further...), it got me thinking, what exactly are the limits of delusion and how bizarre can conspiracy theorists possibly get.

I'm sure you are all familiar with WTC conspiracy theories, and the Moon Hoax, and Area 51 theories, but it doesn't really explain the psychology of delusion. Specifically, what causes a person to delude oneself to such a degree, to the point where he apparently believes that he's the only sane one?

And also, while some conspiracy theories could just be written off as just "jumping the gun" or cognitive dissonance(as is the case with most Area 51 and UFO theories), there are some (like RT's in the other thread) which does clearly indicate lack of intelligence or at the very least the extent of ones ignorance. What I find most interesting, though, is that even in the face of rather overwhelming and quite obvious evidence/information, is that they insist on holding on to their rather mistaken beliefs. Sometimes to the point where it becomes nearly impossible to educate them further, and thus delude themselves...

So, is stupidity and delusion mutually exclusive in your opinion? Recent events tell me not really. It is quite possible for intelligent people to be deluded, or ignorant about certain things. But stupidity, in fact the very definition of it, requires one to already be deluded or at the very least go to absurd lengths to hold on to their beliefs.

And by extension, what exactly are the limits of delusion and stupidity? Is it possible to always find even more crazy assumptions or stupid acts, or could there possibly be a limit to it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

personal attacks on specific members are against the regulations of this forum. If you do not cease your attacks, further actions will be taken against you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LogicTech Registered Member

So be it then. As a member of a visible minority

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, I do not and will not tolerate what is very clearly an attempt to advertise white supremacy, nor will I have much respect for such a person.

I do not understand why you allow this to happen in the first place. Such a person should be ridiculed and laughed to scorn.

This is a science forum after all......

===================================

Just focus on the overall topic on hand. I personally am not going to focus on RT in this thread, I was just using an example in order to discuss a bit of psychology. Specifically the limits of delusion...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

You seem to be advocating racism. This is also against Sciforums regulations.

8. LogicTech Registered Member

Yeah, sure, ok. I don't see how anyone could read what I typed and interpret it like you did. Takes some talent I'll say...

But then again, your ability to do that is probably why threads like "SAM says blacks are dumber than whites" exist in the first place on this site, so I shouldn't be surprised

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ANYWAYS:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008