feet taboo

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Search & Destroy, Dec 11, 2008.

?

Do you like feet

1. I like feet

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. They don't bother me

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Don't like em

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Haye them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

What's with it? What would an evolutionary biologist say is the purpose? There are many people who hate the sight of feet, much more than say... hands.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Hating the sight of feet is not a 'taboo', it would not even be a phobia. More like an affectation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

A taboo is like a strong social prohibition, for example putting your feet on the dinner table.

Generally feet are not a phobia, but among phobias they are common.

Affectation? I had to look this up "An unusual mannerism." Well it's not very unusual, unless perhaps you have never heard of this foot taboo before? Then you would at least be the first person to have never heard "eww feet are ugly!" or "I hate feet!" that I've ever heard of. I'm telling you - it's quite usual - not an affectation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The teacher asks Little Johnny "Which body part goes to heaven first?"

Little Johnny replies "The feet miss"

So the teacher says "Why the feet?"

And Little Johnny says "Because when I go in my mummys bedroom at night she has her legs in the air shouting 'Oh my God I'm coming'"

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Apples to oranges. You were talking about an individual observing feet, not society having standards are about the placing of them.

'hating the sight of feet' would not count as a phobia, as per the OP. A phobia is an irrational fear , not a hatred.

It's not a taboo, that's a societal norm, not a personal one. Show me an entire society that must cover it's feet to prove your usage of 'taboo' please. Also, no, it's not usual, it's about as prevalent as foot fetishism.

It is not a phobia, as a phobia is technically a mental illness.

So we are left with affectation, as I previously stated.

9. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I am talking about a taboo, hence the title. If the OP reflects "affectations" instead, treat my whole topic as "general foot distaste instead of separating it so cursedly.
    Again, treat the topic more generally please. And rather than a trivial dissection, how about a cause of "general foot distaste" By the way, I am allowed to digress a bit and speak about related things, like phobias. So basically, if I start talking about phobias I am not talking about affectations. If I am talking about affectations I am not talking about taboos... Let's be clear - if I talk about Apples, I am not talking about Oranges. I am completely confused about you.
    Distaste to Taboo to Phobia is not so black and white, but there lies a Grey Area where one could be the other and vice versa.
    Foot fetishism is far less prevalent than foot distaste. Tell me, have you ever heard "eww, feet" etc. / Do you know a foot-fetisher?
    I propose more people have phobias of feet than of hands.
    Whatever, let's just talk about the cause of 'general foot distaste' instead of mucking about in trivialities.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  10. phlogistician Banned Banned

You contradict yourself. Is this about affected individuals saying 'ewww, feet' or a taboo?

Individuals do not define taboos. A personal distaste does not define a taboo. Don't rape the language by trying to make a specific word general. If you want a general discussion, don't use words with specific meanings.

11. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Just stop nitpicking and problem solved.

The feet are the dirtiest part of the body without shoes. It is constantly your body's connection to the ground, and it's quite easy to step on poop or something similarly dangerous for health. This is the obvious answer, but I'd like someone knowledgeable to elaborate.

Also, if you think taboos and distaste are so far removed from each other, you should explain why because I'm interested. Maybe then I'll understand your utter objection to including the two under the same topic.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

I should think one's asshole is dirtier than one's feet, health wise.

And yes, taboos and distaste are different, and no, I'm not going to explain, go look them up in a dictionary.

13. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Man I've already told you the definition of the two, and I have looked them up. I want to know why the adverse to discussing the two under one thread. I'm just blind to your viewpoint and interested as to why. I do want general discussion of specific things. Why not?

Anyway, and asshole is pretty dirty. But it is protected somewhat by the cheeks, for example my feet are touching my bed but my asshole is not regardless of clothing.

I think there is pretty high distaste for assholes. We see them much less than feet so they are talked about less. But if someone was parading their asshole around, I don't think too many people would be looking closely, even if it was a"pretty" anus.

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't really care for feet, but I couldn't tell you why. It's just a distaste I developed in like 7th grade or so. I won't wear sandals and I even practice martial arts in shoes. But I'm a minority.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It's not feet that people dislike (in fact feet are the #1 sexual fetish amongst humans). It's what's on feet people that people dislike. Feet (or their outer coverings) come into the most contact with bacteria, viruses, poisonos, etc. You don't want that stuff in your body; hence, the reason why people want feet to "stay on the floor".