Is it true that blond(e) people is a race in the human species?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by At World's End, Dec 8, 2008.

1. At World's End Registered Member

a: an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species ; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group
    b: breed
    c: a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

(merriam-webster.com/dictionary entry for race)

Blond(e) people fit the definition for a race?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I must say I find this definition to be quite scary.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I call bullshit. Blonde is just another gene; I can't remember if it's dominant or recessive.
    The 'Aryan' race was supposed to have blond hair and blue eyes, correct? Well blue eyes is a recessive gene. A blue eyed woman and blue eyed man will have nothing other than blue eyed children.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. At World's End Registered Member

In other words, children with blond(e) hair and blue eyes can only be born from "pure raced" parents who have the same traits or from "mixed raced" parents who have blond(e) hair and blue eyes masked by dominant darker hair and darker eyes. Doesn't this seem like one of those "traditional" racial definitions to you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There's only one race I keep telling everyone, the human race , everything else is ethnic groups.

8. At World's End Registered Member

The human race is just one of thousands of species, so your logic is flawed.

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

No. Not really. I consider the term 'race' the same thing as breed. So with that said, you can have people/animals of the same race/breed, but with different traits.
    Let's take dogs for example:
    - a Boxer. You have three different variations of the boxer breed, fawn, brindle and white.
    -a Chihuahua. You have a shorthaired, a long haired and a wire haired. All three have different types of hair, yet are the same breed (race).

I have blue eyes. My friend Greg (who is also as white as I am) has brown eyes. We are still of the same race. Some black people have distinguished green eyes. Are they of a different race?

10. At World's End Registered Member

So, people of the same race can have different traits? In that case, how many races are there in the human race?

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I think race is very difficult to define, exactly. It's one of those "I know it when I see it" sort of things. And apparently it varies depending on who you're talking to. My boyfriend is currently traveling through Africa right now, and he was "utterly flabbergasted" that the people there considered him white or Caucasian.

12. At World's End Registered Member

What part of Africa? North Africa, the biggest part of Africa, was traditionally Caucasian.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This shows you how silly the idea of race is, doesn't it?

14. Xylene Valued Senior Member

IMO, the Human race is a species, which includes all different varieties of humanity presently in existence. If we're talking in terms of another species, try the Neanderthals; they were far away enough from Humanity genetically (as recent studies show) for them to be seen as a seperate species.

15. DeepThought Banned Banned

Epigenetics suggests that is incorrect.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yep. And so it's also a silly notion to have anything such as "racism". We should strike down any laws against "racism". "Racism", then, is just nothing more than bullying or somesuch. And we should also do away with Equal Opportunity laws because they obviously are favoring "races" ...and that's such a silly notion, huh?

Baron Max

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

Silence racists first Max, and then we can get rid of racism laws. Oh, and please don't tell ne racists have explored the finer points of taxonomy before shouting abuse.

In fact, just replying in topic would be a good response from you for a change.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

But if there's no such thing as different human "races", then there can be no such thing as "racism". How can you silence something that can't exist?

Baron Max

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

Max, now you are being stupid. Why do Nazi hate groups exist, if there is nobody to hate? Because they are bigots, perhaps? You know Max, when you question everything the way you do, it does't make you look intelligent, it makes you look like an imbecile. Stop asking puerile questions, eh?

20. At World's End Registered Member

Your reasoning is flawed. Of course races exist. All current racism done by people against other people are racism against "cultural" races, since there is no biological races of people (which are subspecies) now nor any time in the past.

In fact, Baron, before you sound like an idiot, I suggest you read up on the definition of races here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race[3]

21. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

DUH!
    Say a brown eyed caucasian father and brown eyed caucasian mother has a baby that has blue eyes. You're telling me that the baby is a different race than both of its caucasian parents??

O RLY??? Regular laws of genetics will have to disagree with that.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15388445/
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19325875.400
    http://scienceandreason.blogspot.com/2006/11/why-blue-eyed-men-prefer-blue-eyed.html

22. At World's End Registered Member

So, your mentality is that parents and their kids should not be of different races?

23. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Yes. Two caucasians that have sex and then have a baby are going to have a caucasian baby.
    Please tell me how a caucasian couple can have a baby that isn't caucasian?
    (and assume that the man and woman in question are the parents, the wife did not cheat)