Sexual Education

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Asguard, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Concidering the rates of STD's (including HIV) and teenage pregancies are on the rise i think its time we had a proper discussion about how much control parents should be alowed to excercise over their children and how much sociaty should be alowed to EXPECT from them.

Should sociaty concider keeping adolessants uninformed about sexually related matters to be neglect?

and

Should parents be alowed to keep there children from properly run sexual education programs and if so why?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

I would generally base the problem on lack of "family base" everyone is becoming so distant and schedules are always conflicted women are working and men are work more awkward hours and frankly the family has more economic and egotistical matters to worry about than sitting at the dinner table and conversing.

I think 6th grade is where sexual education should start.
    Homework would involve the parents of the students working together.

I do not think parents should have any say in a childs education because SEX is such a huge part of ones spectrum and for a parent to say no is ignorant.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

For the sake of reference here are some statistics on the US compared to other countries

chart a) U.S. teenagers have higher pregnancy rates, birthrates and abortion rates than adolescents in other developed countries

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

chart b) Differences in levels of teenage sexual activity across developed countries are small.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_teens.html

concidering this i should add 2 more questions.

Should parents be notifided if their child accesses contraception?
    Should parents be alowed to decide if their child can access contraception?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CarpetDiem Burnin' hours, season days Registered Senior Member

Asguard, the article is from 2001 and the data used is at most recent is 1995!
    Do you have anything more recent?:shrug:

the other interesting thing about it is:

• The primary reasons why U.S. teenagers have the highest rates of pregnancy, childbearing and abortion among developed countries is less overall contraceptive use and less use of the pill or other long-acting reversible hormonal methods, which have the highest use-effectiveness rates.

• Factors in cross-country differences in teenagers' contraceptive use include negative societal attitudes toward teenage sexual relationships, restricted access to and high costs of reproductive health services, ambivalence toward contraceptive methods and lack of motivation to delay motherhood or to avoid unintended pregnancy.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ill try, my favorite source (the ABS) has little cross country data on trends like this and the WHO's data tends to deal with the third world countries but i will try to find something more recent. If anything i actually expect the statistics to be worse for the US concidering the rise of the "abstance" campain

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i cant varify the valitity of this source because its a blog

http://blog.cleveland.com/health/2008/07/youth_make_up_a_staggering.html

10. phandentium Greatest title Registered Senior Member

The United States would tend to have more abortions and births due to the fact that it has a higher populous.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm you do realise statistics like this are ALWAYS done per 1000, NOT as raw figures dont you?

12. draqon Banned Banned

and I fall in those 20% and less percent who by age 20 have not stained their pure soul.

and that's living in the most immoral country on planet Earth, USA.

13. draqon Banned Banned

errr...the rates is not based on the number of population but by the ratio of the sinners to non-sinners.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I agree with Asguard's point of view, no one should have the right to decide that their kid should remain ignorant.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Back in the old days, society allowed people to raise their kids as they chose. That didn't change any feelings or thoughts of sex, yet it was seldom that kids we so permissive and sexually active. Nor were the teen pregnancies any huge issue.

That leads me to believe that we should return to the old ways ...like the 1900s-1950s. The parents and kids were doing something right.

I think modern society is simply too permissive ...permissive of everything. Voilence and sex glorified on TV/movies; Sex glorified in music; Sex glorified in magazines and advertising; ...we glorify sex, are permissiive of sexual activity, then we complain about it!

Baron Max

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Who says the teens are uninformed? Perhaps they're just full of hormones which makes them immature, impulsive, and stupid sometimes. Perhaps it has something to do with how sex is everywhere these days, everyone's doing it and it's 'cool'.

Secondly who says the parents are any better informed? Their education on the subject was probably even worse.
    Tying in with that is the sad fact that parents can pull their children from the education, which is mostly done on moral/religious grounds. We don't have any right to force them to attend unless the kids want to and denounce the religion they're being indoctrinated into, and at what age can we apply that? When are they 'too young to know any better?' When does that stop and why?

17. John99 Banned Banned

You take this stuff with a grain of salt. Most of these people here have never been to the U.S. and actually believe that what they see on t.v is realistic.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That would, indeed, be nice. But you see, we're led around by the nose by the news media ....whatever they say, we're supposed to worry about and discuss in Internet forums until we've decided to take away everyone's freedoms and put everyone in little padded cells for their own protection!

Baron Max

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think all children should be put to work on a farm as soon as they can walk. That will take care of their education.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't know if you joking or not, but a farm is a fantastic way to learn about the world. The interaction of farm animals most often makes human interaction a major joke!

Baron Max

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

My grandma kept farm animals. Goat, chicken. The neighbors had cows, ducks, dogs. We had cats, a tortoise. My father bred fantail pigeons. An uncle breeds fish, which my mum also used to do years ago. I think its fantastic.

22. phandentium Greatest title Registered Senior Member

I am aware of this. Though in a country with a higher populous I would expect abortion programs to be prominent even though those numbers aren't raw.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

phandentium we are comparing OCED counties NOT easten eroup here