Covalent Bonds

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by astrogirl15, Nov 16, 2008.

1. astrogirl15 Registered Member

The compound Ammonia is made up of one Nitrogen, and 3 Hydrogen.

On the periodic table I see that Nitrogen has 7 protons, and 7 electrons. I also see that each Hydrogen has 1 proton, and 1 electron.

I am told that Ammonia is held together through a Covelant Bond. My question is: how does this work?

My only guess is that Nitrogen has 6 electrons in its 1st electron cloud, and only 1 in its 2nd. This would make it want more, correct? Also Hydrogen only has 1. This would make it want more correct?

Please clerify this if you can.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

holy shit. She hasn't been around long, has she? I'll tell you the answer in a second, it seems much too simple for me to be correct, I'll have to double check.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Nitrogen's electron structure is 2, 5.

The simplest explanation is that the first electron cloud holds 2, and the second holds 8.

For the first 20 elements (up to Calcium) the electron structure is 2, 8, 8, 2.

As you build up the electronic structure, you're putting single electrons into the orbits, however, once the orbit is half full, you start having to pair the electrons up - two electrons can be together if they're paired according to their spin. Spin up/Spin down.

Essentially, the whole of chemistry is about getting electrons into pairs of electrons with opposing spin.

The first two electrons (of Nitrogen) aren't available for chemical reactions, which leaves the 5 outer electrons.

So, the second shell,w hich can hold a maximum of 8 electrons has 5 in it, but to get more than 4 of them into the orbital, two of them have to be paired up, which leaves only three for forming bonds with other elements.

The two electrons that are bound into pairs are called 'Lone Pairs'.

Carbon has 4 outer electrons, so the shell is half full, and all 4 are available to form chemical bonds.

Nitrogen has 5 outer electrons, so the shell is more than half full, two of the electrons need to form a lone pair (forming a lone pair requires less energy than being in another shell), so Nitrogen has 3 bonding electrons, and one lone pair. Nitrogen bonds with three Hydrogen Atoms to form Ammonia

Oxygen has 6 outer electrons, so the shell is more than half full. 4 of the electrons need to form lone pairs, so Oxygen has 2 bonding electrons, and 2 lone pairs. Oxygen bonds with two hydrogen atoms to form Water

Flourine has 7 outer electrons, so the shell is more than half full. 6 of the electrons need to form lone pairs, so Flourine has 1 bonding electron, and 3 lone pairs. Flourine bonds with one oxygen atom to form Hydrogen Flouride.

Neon has 8 outer electrons so the shell is full. All 8 electrons from lone pairs, and Neon has no bonding electrons. Neon does not bond with any hydrogen atoms.

In reality it's more complicated than this, and exceptions can arise, however this explanation is valid for the first twenty elements, and the basic principles remain the same even in more complicated scenarios. This explanation can also be best understood in term sof Lewis diagrams.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Good answer! :bravo: