Interesting yet disgusting

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Clarentavious, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

I saw this once on TV (and yes, it was real, trust me; video footage from a medical center, on a documentary show).

Apparently, in some instances, maggots are the choice of treatment doctors use

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Let me explain. You see, maggots ONLY eat dead animal products (as opposed to a parasite which preys on living organisms, or other types of worms).

So, in some instances, like where people have developed Gan Grene (like if someone has applied a tourniquet to a limb to prevent someone from bleeding to death, if the blood is cut off for too long, the tissue past the choke point begins to die because it is not receiving blood) - they actually place maggots on the wound and let them feed, because they will only eat dead tissue. This is how they clean out the crap and prevent it from spreading.

The only reason this came into my memory, is because some maggots were trying to get at some really old stake placed in a trash can outside of our house.

Scary eh? I don't know if I'd allow the doctors to do that. You may go throw up now

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

ugh.. maggots really give me the creeps.. i once unknowingly killed a mouse...... that was when i LEARNED they give me the creeps. but i think if it were going to save my life.. i might be able to deal with it. as long as i was unconcious.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

weird

omg! nasty! horrible...sick

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

One of Australia's WW2 heroes is Edward "Weary" Dunlop. I think in his book he mentions that in the Japanese prison camps he would let maggots go nuts in tropical ulcers to eat away the dead flesh. I'm pretty sure many people are using them to clean away gangrenous flesh.

8. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I once saw a picture of that: a man with a huge hole in his foot that was filled with maggots to clean it out. It didn't look as disgusting as it sounds.

Also, the patients didn't mind mostly. They knew they were being helped, it was that or maybe losing a bodypart.

One of the patients asked every time: have they eaten well doctor?

So you see, everybody happy. (except the person checking up on sciforums while eating

)

9. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

LoL, "have they eaten well"?

It's good that we are making good use of maggots though...I always thought they were useless and such.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I was just going to get some food

! pheeew, I'm lucky I didn't get it earlier. But to be truthful- it would have been a difference only if smone had posted a photo

11. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

or if you were eating velveta shells and cheese. everytime i eat them, they remind me of those little guys.