NH4Cl

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by flameofanor5, Oct 22, 2008.

1. flameofanor5 Not a cosmic killjoy Registered Senior Member

Ok so NH4Cl is an ionic Compound, can someone please explain why it isnt a Molecular compound?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Short Answer?

There isn't any room.

Nitrogen can only bond with 4 other atoms.
    Normally it's three, but a proton is so strongly charged that it forms a dative bond with the Nitrogen.

My understanding is that a dative bond is indistinguishable from an ordinary covalent bond, the only difference is that both electrons come from the same atom (a lewis base) so the distinction is completely artificial.

Each Hydrogen atom can only bond to one other atom (ignoring boron chemistry, and hydrogen bonds), and they're all bound to the central Nitrogen.

So the Ammonium (NH4)^+ is incapable of forming any further covalent bonds, it does, however, have an over all positive charge, like a metal ion, so it's capable of attracting an ion with a negative charge and forming an Ionic bond - which is simply an electrostatic attraction between two charged particles (ignoring certain complicating things like hardness and softness).

Now, I admit, that things aren't quite as clear cut as I have made them out, but it makes the explanation clearer.

I hope it helps.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

NH4 is a molecule, but it's also charged, so it can have something of opposite charge stuck to it to make an ionic compound. Just calling it an ionic compound is a bit misleading, because it certainly has a molecule in it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Call it an atomic compound, is has atoms in it too!

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Since all compounds have atoms in them, that would probably be a bit redundant.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Charged Molecules are still called Ions.
    Ammonium Nitrate is still an Ionic compound.

An Ion is a charged atom or molecule.