Spintronics.... chemistry and quantum?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Bishadi, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Bishadi Banned Banned

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/09/020925063707.htm

The combination is demonstrated but who is doing the math?

Can anyone find the mechanics behind this? The chemistry in physics?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bishadi Banned Banned

30 plus readers and no one has done a look see on finding the math for this?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Bishadi---

I think the math is relatively simple. From what I understand (and I don't understand much), it's just a new way to store information. The math is just the same sort of stuff that is associated with quantum mechanics.

So, for example, your typical hard drive is a huge disk, with lots of little magnetic bins. Once you apply a magnetic field into one of the bins, it orients the little magnet that lives there. You can orient it up or down.

My impression is that the field of spintronics is the attept to do this with individual electrons in a solid. The individual electrons are nice because they're so tiny. For example, a good hard drive may hold 1 TB of data---that's 10^12 bits of information (up to a factor of 8, and how one defined "TB"---believe it or not there's not a standard definition). Now, the there are about 10^23 atoms that comprise the hard drive, each atom probably has 20 or so electrons. So if you can store information in the spin state of the electrons, you've just gained 13 orders of magnitude of storage capability.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bishadi Banned Banned

the idea is to see if the exchange and transitions are defined mathematically that meets the data.

is the math performed; is what i was asking

meaning; if it is to be worth billions at least the math sharing 'how it works' should be quite relative both to learning and seeking funding

for example 'the electrons spin is based on the angular momentum of an electromagnetic field'

this would mean, after the imposition the potential is stored for the 'spintronics' suggestion to exists

That value and the transition is what i wish to see.