Are we too old to change after reaching a certain age?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Joeman, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I am just wondering do you folks think it is too old to change your behavior after reaching a certain age?

Personally I lack discipline. I am not sure if discipline is the right word and I am not sure if I can make improvement. For example at work I waste a lot of time chatting, typing email, typing messages, and flirting with coworkers. I am not as productive as I am capable of. If I have to get things done, I end up working over time. Since I am on salary I don't get paid over time.

At night I have classes to study. After maybe 15 minutes of study, I start grabbing something to eat, turn on the radio, turn on TV, posting messages, and etc... A lot of people said I am a very intelligent person (which I agree

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

), but I lack discipline to be successful. Since I have been acting this way my entire life, I don't think I can change. Even though I am not that old (20's), I have given up.

Also in my performance review, my boss wants me to be less confrontational and more diplomatic during difficult conversations or debate with coworkers. I think he has a good point. People raise their walls and become defensive and less receptive to criticisms when you are confrontational. That is the way I have always been. I think I am too old to change.

So are we too old to change?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

No one is too old to change. The only impediment is - if you panic when someone says the word "Change". Then it is too late. Most of the time people run on "auto-pilot". As long as you understand the situation and consciously try to chage a little everyday - you will win....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Joeman,

I've been falling into the same boat as you, the whole treading water routine. I feel like I'm just sucking air sometimes. It is definitely possible to change. You have to find your own answer however.

I've been reading books on Gestalt Therapy which have been blowing my mind. It feels like as if someone made a therapy regiment from all of my thoughts. One thing that it states is that in order to change you have to not try to change, paradoxically enough. When you try to change you just set one piece of your personality against another and then nothing gets done. What one should do instead is exercises that integrate these two warring sides and practice living in the moment, rather than the past and future.

The best part about this technique is that it contains exercises up the whazoo, rather than just philosophizing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

joeman you mentioned age in my mind age is only a number,you can bo what ever you like it is your life,if you want to change then change,and be happy.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There! Finally somebody who's seen the light.

Age is only a number, yes!

Amen and Hallelujah to your post, BLASTOFF...

9. Tyler Registered Senior Member

After smoking since he was 15 my grandfather went from a pack a day to smoke-free overnight when he was 78. Everything is just a matter of willpower joeman.

10. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

BANSHEE; It seems that there are a few of us that beleave that age is only a number, be well my friend and be happy.

11. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

You are NEVER too old to change, just sometimes when people get older its just harder for them to. Everything is just a matter of willpower Damn straight Tyler, its all about resolve.

12. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

For me the the lack of Resolve and will power is often the result of stubborness.

13. Centaurus1 AnthropocentricAgnostic Registered Senior Member

Will a given individual hit a certain age and consequently be incapable of changing?? No. However the longer you engage in a particular behaviour I would say makes it more difficult to change. However that doesn't mean change is inconceivable.

14. kmguru Staff Member

You are only as old as you think ....?

Actually, if you do it right, you can hold your age at 40. That is the peak in terms of experience and maturity...so why not....