Funding allowed for Religious schools?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Zero, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Zero Banned Banned

What do you think about it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

i am not christain, but id rather have my children go to a christain school over a public school. the education is alot better.. if even they do have to sit through mass. atleast they will get into a better school.. and i think they can also make up their own mind about their religion no matter school they go to. ... atleast it would be paying for teachers who are willing to TEACH. not just grade papers. of course.. i dont know many schools out of my area... but the public schools here are lousy... and when they DO get money. they just throw it away. literally.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Yes, that is why I like private schools, the teachers are a lot more likely to care for their students. I have expereinced a private school and they are much better than public schools.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zero Banned Banned

True. If you can afford a private school.

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

My little brother went to a very good private school here, on a scholarship. I never tried for it, and I wish I had. A sit turned out I attended a state school just across the road from his private school. His high school education was far superior to mine.

As for state funding of religious schools, well, it should only happen if that funding is made available to schools run by all religions with schools in that country. Yes, that includes Buddism, Shinto, and even Satanism.

9. Mystery Motormouth Registered Senior Member

Personally I would suggest a systematic extermination of all delusional belief centers where children are forced into a specific mentality due to them being at a young and gullible age. But the opposition is slightly intimidating for something like that to actually happen.

10. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

all children need some sort of direction when they are young. And if that is a religion, be it catholic, atleast it is something. And if they stay with it and never leave the little confined walls they were given, well, atleast they they have some morals to follow. Just becuase a child is raised one religion does not mean they are going to remain that relegion all their lives. I was raised catholic (by my grandparents who i lived with when i was younger) . I dont think im scarred for life. Im not catholic now... but atleast i had the oportunity to expirience other religons, and decide for myself what i believed.

11. Mystery Motormouth Registered Senior Member

I was brought up in a Christian Orthodox environment, a living fucking hell if you want rational answers about any aspects of life as a child.

Plenty of lies and forbidden questions, evident signs of mild insanity and a rather delusional mindstate from every rightous pig fucking savage around me. Great stuff.

Maybe the American Catholic culture is more tamed than that, but two thousand years after the shananigans began perhaps it's time to direct morals in the way of rationality, science, and various other sane aspects of existance.

The majority of children in religious families DO envision a humanoid diety, just seems rather insane to me.

But I do understand popular interests, and if funding for such fascilities will ultimately provide for a generation with a better understanding of morals, a lovely humane generation, or two generations... or a few dozen. Maybe the elimination of religious thought should really begin a few thousand years from now, after we calm ourselves down with "safe thinking".

I'm just ranting, I have no point other than that I know plenty people who did not only gain a firm perspective on morals due to a religious childhood, but also a stubborn stance on their beliefs eliminating all other methods of interpreting life and constructing their own philosophies.

12. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Here's a question -

Why can't ethics and morality and a code of conduct be taught at school in the same manner as mathematics, history, science and the rest?

Does religion really have to take any part in a child being taught to do the right thing?

I don't care about what religion anyone follows. I don't think there should be a religion. It just provides another form of segregation and leads to the problems this planet has been experiencing since its inception (religion, that is).

What do you all think?

Cheers
    Teri

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Mystery Motormouth Registered Senior Member

Religion in schools, such as the Catholic religion for example suggests the praise of Jesus, right? Or was that Christian? I'm not really sure about the differences, but anyway, I can compare Jesus to Hitler, in theory anyway. Judging by the statistics of the way they effected the human race, intentionally or not. The crusades weren't exactly humane, nor did medical practices such as circumcision which was claimed to prevent masturbation, since masturbation was supposedly the cause of epilepsy, tuberculosis and insanity. (I'm not saying the absense of the maniacal prophet with positive intentions from history would prevent such things, but he certainly contributed to the bizarre style of thinking we have witnessed in the past.) Where I'm going with this is that the praise of a character like this Jesus isn't exactly the best direction to point a childs attention to. How about Riemann or Einstein instead? Freud? There are plenty of other respectable human beings to appreciate.

14. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Why can't ethics and morality and a code of conduct be taught at school in the same manner as mathematics, history, science and the rest?"

1) It's plain wrong.
    2) It's already done.

Children are already pretty much molded through childhood to know the difference between right and wrong in school. The reason we still have problems is because first of all, we're human, but more importantly parents are lazy and irresponsible.

It's wrong to teach kids ethics at school because there is no such thing as absolute morality. A child should be given facts and then left to decide his/her morals for him/herself.

When morals are forced, they aren't morals.