Buying a used car

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by alexb123, Oct 2, 2008.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I have been looking at the Parker Guide to car prices and then comparing them to cars I find online. It seems that almost every car come in about 600 or 700 or more pounds over the Recommended Price for an Independent Car Dealer. I expected that cars would be marked higher but surely not that much higher? Would these dealers be willing to knocked that much off the car value?

Anyone have an experience of second hand car dealers?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Because many people who are selling there cars expect the person buying it to find problems with it and therefore offer a lower price than they asked. So in actuality whenever you bargain with the seller they are willing to negotiate with you down 500 to 800 dollars or pounds.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

never pay the asking price for second hand cars, they are priced to be knocked down a bit

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I always knew they were priced to be knocked down but the prices are so much higher than the Parker Guide. One I looked at was over £1000 more. You would think that there must be a seller out there who prices just above the book guide but I cant find him.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Business is so bad, that used cars have no value. You should negotiate very hard. Or could buy almost a new car with low financing...Well, with good credit...

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They are willing, but you have to squeeze it out of them, it's not easy. Dealers are the worst, they know all the tricks to talk you out of your money.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Buying a car is an artform. One should do due dilligence and study it before attempting to do it.

As long as you think you made a good deal, be happy, the dealer's need a profit too. Once I had a dealer running after me when I left the dealership. I also know I must have made a good deal, because when a week later I crashed the car, I actually made $1000 on the insurance money, because the insurance calls up 5 dealerships and averages their prices...So my buying price was 1K below that....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  11. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I have worked out why the markups are so high. The area I have been looking is affluent and almost all of them put on almost £1000 extra. However, if I go down the road to Luton you get a much more sensible deal. Im very surprised at the price diff but they must be able to get away with it or they would not do it.

Puzzle solved, now for the searching and negotiating. Thanks for the advice

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!