1 Way Mission To Mars

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

can anyone say "what an idiot"

"While some might classify this as a suicide mission, McLane feels the concept is completely logical.

“There would be tremendous risk, yes," said McLane, “but I don’t think that’s guaranteed any more than you would say climbing a mountain alone is a suicide mission. People do dangerous things all the time,"

Ummm, people intend to come back from climbing a mountain and get all the girls

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. If its one way then by definition it is a suicide mission

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

I'm sure he can find some terrorist to do it. Just tell him there are infidels on Mars.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit."

"It's the only way to be sure."

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

A Mars mission would require the co-operation of world governments, and none of them would back a suicide mission. The guy is insane.

8. zerogravity Banned Banned

LOL Oil, terrorists will always go to kill infidels!

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

If this one person was asimo in a space suit controlled from earth that would test the on site production of return fuel and set up a powerplant and a greenhouse to produce electricity and food before a "real" mission that the ID has some potential

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

I'm all for sending more robots. I think it's one of the few options to explore Mars properly. Humans need too much baggage.

If we get to the point where robots can achieve what you mention, then maybe we can think about sending people.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why doesn't Jim McLane just volunteer himself instead of trying to convince someone else to sacrifice their life? Is he just another promoter trying to cash in on others disasters? Sounds like a real winner to me...not!

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sound great... for a movie! I think it could be done but it to crazy to get investment, though for some reason I see Russia doing it.

Lets think about how much saved by a one way trip to mars, Lets look at mars semidirect the nasa reference mission to mars: three launches to mars using Ares 5 (or Energia or a boosted DIRECT launcher) One for the chemical plants that will make oxygen, air and fuel for the explores as well as carry the Mars-to-Mars-orbit return rocket, another for flying the explores their and landing and sheltering them on mars, a third for the return rocket to dock with and fly the explores home. With a one man mission what do you gain, well you just cut out 1 out of 3 launches, the chemical factory can now carry a little more because it does not need Mars-to-Mars-orbit module,A one man mission would need optimally 2000kg of life support (food, water, oxygen, with optimal recycling efficiency) for a 2 year stay on mars, and 4-6 man mission would need 8000-12000kg, you have saved 6000-10000kg out of a 25000kg lander. In weight a one man mission would require 42 metric tons, a 4 man direct mission would require 54 tons, a six man semi-direct would require 83 tons, so a one-man mission cuts the mass in half and takes only 2 launches instead of 3.

In the long term its all moot, transhumans and robots will inherit space, they need neither water, food, air, shelter, they will have virtually unlimited lifespans yet no fear of death.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  13. orcot Valued Senior Member

No, you miss understand
    It's purpose would not be explore but to prepare "colonisation".
    A robotic lander that contains a power plant, a fuel refinary and a biodome. Would make a mission to mars a lot safer because their would already be electricity, fuel and food on mars. And the weight safe could allow for extra scientific material, or even extra crew.

I once read that most probably the Egyptians discovered South America 1000 of years before the vikings and the reason why they never went back was because their was nothing there and it was to much of a hassle to get back. I see the same thing in the apollo program and hope Mars won't suffer the same fate

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

I got that, I just don't think it's going to happen any time soon. Sending all that stuff to Mars to make it easier to send humans would be costly. I think a mission would be the lowest cost for the PR return, and the book would be closed.

Let's face it, there's nothing we want from Mars a rover can't get for us, and nothing that is economically viable to harvest, so investing in the infrastructure you mention rather a waste.

15. Roman Banned Banned

Let's send draqon.

16. draqon Banned Banned

Sign me up, I will pay to do it as well.

17. orcot Valued Senior Member

Let's see abouth that.
    A titan 4 rocket (the same that send up the cassini spacecraft could take 21 500 kg to Low earth orbit or 5 750 kg to geosynchronus orbit so rougly 1/4th
    And it costs abouth 325 million dollar a launch.

Now say that you could launch a factury probe to deimos that extracts water and sepperate it into H2 and 02 and deliver's it to LEO by pushing itself of the moon and a very small amount to be captured around earth.
    If you consider that this lander would last 10-15 years and deliver 1 payload a year how cheap should it have to be to make a profit?

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

if the technology were available to do that we would not being launching with something as expensive and antiquated as Titan rockets!

19. Roman Banned Banned

We're talking about government here.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Don't see how that changes the answer.

21. Roman Banned Banned

Expensive and antiquated is the way they operate.

22. orcot Valued Senior Member

the fact is, that you would have to be pretty suicidal to go on such a mission. And I yust can't see someone sitting a year alone in a tin can on his way between without killing himself or changing his mind

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yeah that is why we still us Titan rocket, oh wait, WE DON'T!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.