Scared when alone...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by mrow, Sep 30, 2008.

?

Do you get scared when you're alone at home at night?

1. Yes, a lot of nights

5.3%
  2. Sometimes, but only some nights

21.1%
  3. Not since I was little

31.6%
  4. Never

42.1%
  1. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

I live in an apartment with no roommates. I get very creeped out at night by myself. Things just feel eerie and I get a little scared and it takes me longer than it should to fall asleep as a result of this. I feel way too old for this and I don't know where this comes from or how to make it stop. Anyone else feel this way? Any tips?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

put on the TV to go to sleep

I dont get massivly creeped out when alone (well not like that anyway, i just think myself into panic atacks) but i have huge amounts of trouble sleeping if its to dark or to quite so i stick the TV on with something i have watched 100 times before and i am usually asleep before the intro finishes

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tnerb Banned Banned

I live alone.
    Right now I am considering taking a bath in the dark as I have no light :bawl:
    But would I do that- hell no- I would be so scared, that I would have to jump out, before Bloody Mary comes in and stabs me with a huge Grim Reaper like knife

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But no, I do not get too scared until I go to the bathroom and have to pee. In which case the light out and the light out in the other room makes me hurry back to my room (where I am now). And being in the dark as it is it is kind of scary, a lot more so than it is during the day time...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Sorry you feel this way Mrow (how do you pronounce that anyway?). By the way, how is your relative who had MRSA?

I live alone, and have since 1995. If it bothered me to be alone, I'd be in very serious trouble. Being alone is much better than having a housemate who is a jerk.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I used to be scared of the dark when I was little but thankfully I grew out of it. Now I LOVE being alone.

9. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Mrow, Just call me and I will be right over to comfort you.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Same.

I cherish the privacy of my room.

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Close the door and any windows, If you have air con or a fan which can still let you sleep, then turn them on. that noise should cover any eerie noises you think you've heard.

12. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Yeah, maybe I just haven't lived alone long enough. This is the first year I've ever lived alone. Plus, being a woman and all, I guess I'd feel better with a guy around. My last roommate was a jerk, and you're right, alone is better than that. That's actually why I live alone now.

I lived with my boyfriend for a lot of this year but we broke up last week the day before my birthday so maybe that's what's triggering this. I'm just not used to it.

He's doing better. Not completely, but much better. We're out of the woods now at least. Thanks so much for asking! I'm surprised you remember.

It's pronounced like a noise a cat would make.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  13. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Good, then come now. It's 1:30am and I'm exhausted but am having the same problem and can't sleep.

14. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

That's so freaking weird. That's exactly who I was afraid of last night. Now I'm even more creeped out.

15. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Ok, just PM me your address and I'll be there as fast as I possibly fucking can!!!

16. Scott Free Registered Member

Some things to consider:

- if you're sleeping and a light is on anyone can see you but if the light is off they can't; unless they have a flashlight.

- if your home is empty any noise will alert you. If your house is busy hence noisy it is easier for someone to sneak up on you. This is why many break-ins happen when people are home. It also gives plausible deniability; "oh hi! I'm sorry to bug you but do you have a phone I can use?"

- Most people are killed by someone they know. Do you really feel safer sleeping in a house full of people who are your potential murderer?

- your eyes are already adjusted to the dark if you sleep with the lights off. That normally takes 20 minutes so if someone tries to sneak up on you, that is, they come into your house from a lighted area, you have the advantage. They probably won't turn the lights on for fear of waking you. Most killers will want the element of surprise.

- if the lights are off it will take time to find you (if anyone even knows you're there); time you can use to counter attack or phone for help - provided the lines weren't cut.

- you should have a working smoke detector in case an arsonist mistake your house as empty. Arsonists don't typically mean to kill people.

Hope that helps.

17. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Thanks! Oh, something I should probably add, I live in a studio apartment...so my bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom are all the same room...the bathroom is the only room that has a door and I keep that shut when I sleep. But given that I can pretty much see all of my apartment from my bed, I don't understand what I'm scared of.

18. Scott Free Registered Member

It could be a blood sugar problem. Are you always scared or only sometimes?

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

mrow, it could symply be a case of you are not used to being on your own. Mix that in with the emotions of breaking up and that would cause a base level rise in anyones anxiaty

20. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

At night in my apartment when I'm alone whether the lights are on or off.

21. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Yeah...that was pretty recent...

22. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I didn't know you went through a breakup

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

PB occasionally stays at her parents place or a friends while i stay at home and the place always feels WIERD without her.

I have the tribe of animals for company but even so i vertually never sleep in our bed when she isnt here, always on the couch. Partually that is due to the fact that i have heating in the lounge room and not in the bed room but its also because it just doesnt feel right

Give yourself some time