Way to go SpaceX

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by ElectricFetus, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

:thumbsup:

Let government die.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. amark317 game developer-in-training Registered Senior Member

so if all of the previous space launches were done by the government, then the government has had control of all of our media that is satelite based? not to mention all of the cell phone satelites?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. amark317 game developer-in-training Registered Senior Member

oh and I agree, the smaller the government, the better!

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

First of all I stand by no universals ideology, as such government might make for better healthcare than insurance companies and government regulated banking might makes for better banking than are present collapsing deregulated mass, but considering the last 40 years of the space age: government makes for bad space travel. We managed to get a man on the moon in a decade yet after that we just do nothing but go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over budget, mind you government makes great space probes and scientific endeavors but price per kg to orbit government could never get down! Now a corporations is doing it for cheap and a profit and for prestige, the kind of prestige most governments have forgotten (except china), now mind you if spaceX fails to make its cheap quota or fails to make the falcon 9 viable I will be force to conclude that corporations aren't the answer for space travel either.

9. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

10. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

SpaceX rules, if only they hired more entry-level aerospace engineers fresh out of college *wink wink*... ahhh the thought...

Power to the corporations. When a corporate launch system fails, the company looks bad, maybe the company disolves, some people lose their jobs and find new ones. When a government launch system fails, a national icon fails, a showcase of a nation's technological achievements fails, a nation's self-esteme is, in a way, hurt. THIS is why government systems cost more, it's so more can go into trying to make sure that nothing fails.

Doesn't help that when the dime is on the government, people see it as an infinitely deep pit of money and hence waste it, then ask for more, and waste more, etc. etc.

If anyone's going to set things right in terms of economical space flight, it's the renegade company with a lot less to lose.

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

SpaceX is great and all, but I would like to remind everyone that if space travel were up to corporations we never would have gone to the moon - there wasn't any profit in it. We need government-sponsored space travel to do things that advance humanity but don't necessarily make money. Can you imagine a corporation launching a probe to another planet just to learn about it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.