Why knowing some basic chemistry is useful

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Billy T, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I am sure many can contribute to this title, but here is a financial example:

I get many investment Emails especially related to energy production and alcohol. Here is a clever scam that many ignorant of even the most basic chemistry will lose money on. See "pump and dump" promotion* at:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/09/carbon-sciences.html

I think even this site's name is a clever rip off with title resembling a more reputable one.

Anyway they invent the term "bioreactor" to describe what is surely photosynthesis and tell how their bioreactor can use free energy at room temperature to remove the carbon from CO2 instead of the expensive high temperatures that are normally required and use expensive energy etc.

Go there and see cleverly written promotional text that some ignorant of chemistry will fall for. Check out the "about" GreenCarCongress link also. It seems to be one guy, who is the "editor" and claiming to be a leader in the IT field for 15 years. That would make him part of the dot.com bubble. - No doubt he learned how to write good scam text there.

But I hasten to add that all this post is just my un-supported personnel opinion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So make your own judgments about the merits of investing in them. Surely I am entitled to my opinion, legally and it is not yet illegal to know some chemistry, I think.

---------------------
    * later by edit: " ...If you are in the market like we are, then today {29Sept08, day with dow down 777.7 points} was surely a painful day to see most stocks fall off a cliff. Fortunately, our members had the opportunity to lock in a solid gain on CABN today as it gained a whopping 70% following our alert this morning. Congratulations to all who acted on our new idea and were not only insulated from today's carnage, but actually profited! Many of our aggressive traders were able to lock-in incredible gains today by wisely trading the first day momentum following our alert on this very exciting company. This is truly a great story and we are excited to watch its development over the coming months. CABN's technology could really revolutionize how we develop fuels in the future. CABN stock managed to close near the high of the day on all time record volume. ..."
    http://www.beaconequity.com/emails07/cabn/CABN5.html
    I did not bother to check the closing price, surely still very low, but bet it is 90% lower in a month. Wait a day or two and get in at the peak

as they dump the shares they bought today.
    Ain't capitalism wonderful, or at least educational!
    (It is a dirty job, but someone has to separate fools from their money.)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You are coming to resemble OilisMastery, in your trolling multiple threads with a fundamentally mistaken comprehension of what is familiar to many people.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Simply Joe Registered Member

"Synthetic Propane might be a better automobile fuel than Methane since Propane is not considered to be a greenhouse gas and it can be stored at a lower pressure in aluminum containers - propane powered forklift trucks."

It's one of the comments on the bottom... It may be just me being a stupid teenager but propane is still a combination of Carbon and Hydrogen right? Therefore it will still emit CO2?

8. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

If there is a combustion reaction, it WILL put off Carbon Dioxide and Water, always. As far as my "general" chemistry knowledge informs me.

Now, what they are playing on I think is that Propane itself is not a greenhouse gas, but then, you cant get energy simply by placing Propane in your car, so when it is burned, or ebergy is obtained from it, it will put off Carbon Dioxide. A good example of the "trickiness" these people posess. Sad that someone with even slight Chemical knowledge would do this.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Out of coursity I just checked the stock price of CABN. It is 40% below where it was 3 months ago, and about same a one month ago, but had been pumped up 20% before returning. PRICE is currently $0.18 per share. Still no demonstarion model of the secret "bio-reactor" process tha uses light to make combustable fuel with low energy cost from mere CO2 and H2O (like green plants do) but a new press release every week is being cranked out.

10. Letticia Registered Senior Member