How do I explain this..

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I am not a fan of tokenistic religious gestures and actions , which may be morally and ethically correct, which I may do anyway, but that which must be complemented by idiotic things such as praying or tokenistic gestures, such as acts of cleansing. If you haven't gathered already, I'm a cultural Muslim, but not a believer. I have some notion of god, but am not religious, nor do I want to be.

So, How do I explain this to an older generation, who is trying to pressure me into doing such things?
    Primarily, my great uncles, and parents. (not so much my mother).

I mean, Just because I haven't made a choice... Jeez..

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

You've got a lot of work to be done on this subject! Certainly having religious parents uncles step uncles nephews and nieces is something you must deal with. Plus, you can't really tell them no, "I don't want to believe in anything" without them harassing you or telling you otherwise. So, you've got some choices to make, either somewhat independent positions or thoughts you've got to stand by, if you plan on keeping your independance.

This is my advice as this is what I had to do in keeping my beliefs my beliefs and not others beleifs.

Tell them what you want to, that is your choice, but make your own beliefs, unless they are invalid to your parents/uncles?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

i'm not sure man, let me think on this one..... alterntiavely just go along with it to keep them happy

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Scott Free Registered Member

I think this is a problem for you because you acknowledge that you don't really believe therefore you have no need for tokenistic religious gestures and actions.

Those people around you may need your support for their own belief therefore if you don't demonstrate your faith theirs will waiver.

If they didn't need you to believe then they wouldn't care if you didn't participate. Your participation would obviously strengthen their own faith.

If I am right then you have two options: participate or challenge their faith. You'll have to weight the pros and cons.

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Indeed.

All I need is to figure this whole religion thing on my own. As I explained to a muslim (yet brought up in Australia), I'd rather find out on my own than have others educate me.
    He understood. Why can't they ?

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

There is hope, the people who are the more religious,have lived in london, perhaps they can understand the experience.

10. Scott Free Registered Member

I am going through a similar experience in that I have given up my religion but my family is still very religious.

All I can say is that your scepticism challenges their belief. That scepticism doesn't mean the same thing to someone of a different kin group so naturally other Muslims will be more understanding. Your choices have more significance to members of your family. They can relate to you easier and don't like it if they can't understand your choices. That is just one of those realities that can't be avoided.

I don't think there is an easy magic bullet for this problem. I haven't found one anyway.

Sometimes you have to just step out from under your families shadow. It's a hard thing to do but probably necessary.

11. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

tell them you,
    like all humans ...are evolving to a higher stage of human consiousnes.
    also known as enlightment which does not require such obsolete behavior

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!