What is idealism and naviety ?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Challenger78, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I've been told I have both qualities. While I understand naivety is somewhat akin to a lack of experiences, and those that people say are too trusting. But what exactly is idealism ?

Is it,
    Believing in an idea personally and faithfully ?
    Believing that somehow you can change the world ?`
    Is is just believing that things can be ideal ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Idealism is an unwavering belief in high or noble principles, a sort of romantic, Quixotic dedication to higher standards or cherished values. Its having faith in an idea that you believe is the right idea, no matter what anyone else says.

Kind of.

I hope that helped a bit.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

That did, But is Idealism a bad thing ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Some say idealism is belief in high or noble principles, a sort of romantic, Quixotic dedication to higher standards or cherished values, however without any view of pragmatism.
    An Idelaist will stick to their beliefs, in the face of contrary evidence.
    An Idealsit will blindy follow thier intuitin to destruction, because their Ideal is part of their self-identity and they will refuse to relinquish it (if they even can) regadless of how poor the actual outcome is.

An idealist does not understand that ideals, as opposed to goals, are not to be obtained.
    An ideal is the distant star that guides your way, but the idealist fool thinks he can reach that star.
    An idealist is dangerous because he is unwavering in his vision and unwilling to compromise for the greater goal.

8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

An idealist says something like "let's just have one giant bowl of food, and everyone can take their fair share, that way no one goes hungry", and is serious, they simply lack the intelligence to realise how unfeasable lofty perfect situations are.
    Is it bad? Well it's annoying and ignorant, I feel like that's pretty bad.
    It certainly has no value whatsoever.

If people are constantly accusing you of being naive and an idealist you're probably the worst kind of worthless human being, aka a young person.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I guess then people had no idea what I was like.... the people that know me better accuse me of being a cynical bastard,...

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

For everyone?
    Impossible.

11. CarpetDiem Burnin' hours, season days Registered Senior Member

That's random, not to mention pretty disparaging and condescending. Young people are idealists before they meet the cynical bastards who haven't lived up to their potential. Parents create that idealism in their cute and naive offspring and then older society hacks then incremenally screw the pollyanna out of them. Why do goverments send young men and women off to war? 'Cause they at least, thank a higher being, see the sense of fighting and dying for an ideal. More power to the young.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That's why politicians recurit them too.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No. It is something that must be understood and to know when to be flexible about your own ideals not to think that all others have the same ones as theirs. It is always good to have a set of ideals that you would want to strive for to make yourself a better person. Just remember that many can use that against you and call you conceited if your ideals are to lofty and self centered.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Or, they can abuse you by pretending to share those ideals.