A question about CRT monitors

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

My Sony just died and now I see they don't make CRT monitors any longer. Does anyone know of a good CRT monitor that are available today? Something as good as a Sony of course. Thanks for any help.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The FS7600 is a good quality CRT monitor you can find online

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Wholly incorrect.
    LCD's are merely inexpensive and more pragmatic when compared to CRT's. As far as actual image goes, a CRT is vastly superior to any LCD.
    Ask any professional photographer, architect or graphic designer.

8. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

You're right, for graphics design CRT's are still better for their more accurate color display. But for the average user I don't see any reason why you'd want a massive CRT on your desk.

My last monitor was a 19" CRT and I was reluctant to give it up, but even with this fairly cheap widescreen Acer 22" LCD I don't think I could ever go back to CRT.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The reason I'm wanting a CRT type monitor is because they can have more than 2 programs on scren running at the same time. The LCD type only can have 2 open at one time I was told. I use at least 3 programs or more at times on screen , opening and minimizing them to do my work. Both LCD and CRT are about the same prices today with the LCD being higher in certain circumstances. Thanks for your responses so far, any others as to a good CRT type to buy today ?

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Whoever told you that was full of it. There is no difference between LCD and CRT in this regard. Other than for some very specific applications (which are probably not going to matter to you), LCD monitors are the better choice now.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Thank you, I guess I was misinformed about opening many programs at the same time on LCD couldn't be done then. Thank you for pointing out their error. I would think about a LCD more so now that this revalation is known but still know that a CRT has better color, resolution and clarity.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

CRT vs. LCD - The Pros and Cons of Each

Resolution & Viewing Quality
    Resolution on a CRT is flexible and a newer model will provide you with viewing resolutions of up to 1600 by 1200 and higher, whereas on an LCD the resolution is fixed within each monitor (called a native resolution). The resolution on an LCD can be changed, but if you're running it at a resolution other than its native resolution you will notice a drop in performance or quality.

Both types of monitors (newer models) provide bright and vibrant color display. However, LCDs cannot display the maximum color range that a CRT can. In terms of image sharpness, when an LCD is running at its native resolution the picture quality is perfectly sharp. On a CRT the sharpness of the picture can be blemished by soft edges or a flawed focus.

A CRT monitor can be viewed from almost any angle, but with an LCD this is often a problem. When you use an LCD, your view changes as you move different angles and distances away from the monitor. At some odd angles, you may notice the picture fade, and possibly look as if it will disappear from view.

Refresh Rate
    Some users of a CRT may notice a bit of an annoying flicker, which is an inherent trait based on a CRTs physical components. Today's graphics cards, however, can provide a high refresh rate signal to the CRT to get rid of this otherwise annoying problem. LCDs are flicker-free and as such the refresh rate isn't an important issue with LCDs.

Dot Pitch
    Dot pitch refers to the space between the pixels that make up the images on your screen, and is measured in millimeters. The less space between pixels, the better the image quality. On either type of monitor, smaller dot pitch is better and you're going to want to look at something in the 0.26 mm dot pitch or smaller range.

Screen (viewable) Size
    Most people today tend to look at a 17-inch CRT or bigger monitor. When you purchase a 17-inch CRT monitor, you usually get 16.1 inches or a bit more of actual viewing area, depending on the brand and manufacturer of a specific CRT. The difference between the "monitor size" and the "view area" is due to the large bulky frame of a CRT. If you purchase a 17" LCD monitor, you actually get a full 17" viewable area, or very close to a 17".

Physical Size
    There is no denying that an LCD wins in terms of its physical size and the space it needs. CRT monitors are big, bulky and heavy. They are not a good choice if you're working with limited desk space, or need to move the monitor around (for some odd reason) between computers. An LCD on the other hand is small, compact and lightweight. LCDs are thin, take up far less space and are easy to move around. An average 17-inch CRT monitor could be upwards of 40 pounds, while a 17&-inch LCD would weigh in at around 15 pounds.

Price
    As an individual one-time purchase an LCD monitor is going to be more expensive. Throughout a lifetime, however, LCDs are cheaper as they are known to have a longer lifespan and also a lower power consumption. The cost of both technologies have come down over the past few years, and LCDs are reaching a point where smaller monitors are within many consumers' price range. You will pay more for a 17" LCD compared to a 17" CRT, but since the CRT's actual viewing size is smaller, it does bring the question of price back into proportion.

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Go to a store and have a look at some LCD monitors. I think you'll find, as almost everyone else has, that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'll do that today, thanks again.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

LCD monitors are not better. Their color is off and the quality isn't too great, and plus if you aren't looking directly at it, it darkens from an angle

16. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Maybe 5 years ago, not these days.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well I was impressed with what I saw. The LCD were almost as good as the CRT but not quite but the differences were minor from my investigation. I had a 10 inch CRT monitor for 10 years and when I first started looking at the 22 inch LCD monitors I was very impressed. I choose a HP w2207 widescreen with HDMI available if and when I want to use that feature.

HP w2207h 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
    HP w2207h - A monitor with extreme resolution at 1680 x 1050 for bright, awesome graphic quality. Perfect for videos, photo editing or gaming on your PC. Dual inputs support true digital (HDMI) and traditional analog (VGA) signals. BrightView Technology provides brilliant picture quality. Rotate from your regular view to portrait mode to view long documents or web pages.

Enjoy a brilliant and immersive widescreen viewing experience, thanks to this impressive 22-inch wide flat panel monitor with HP BrightView Technology which makes colours richer and pictures sharper

Thanks to its height adjustable foot and rotating screen, you can easily maximize your viewing area to most demanding needs, while enjoying superb image quality with up to 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, and fast 5ms response time

A unique style and best in class ergonomics make it easy to adjust the monitor to work and play comfortably. You can also save space and personalize your monitor with Easy Clip by clipping on accessories connected to your 2-usb hub

My Display software and QuickView one-touch button will provide you with easy and convenient adjustment of your HP display performance, whether it is connected using its Digital (HDMI) or Analog input

Display Type: Widescreen LCD

Viewable Screen Size: 22 inches

Vertical Refresh Rate: 48 - 76 Hz

Horizontal Frequency: 24 - 82kHz

Input Video Signal: DVI
    VGA

Speakers: 2 x 2 Watt Speakers

Audio Input: Stereo Mini Jack

Contrast Ratio: 1000:1

Brightness: 300 cd/m²

Response Time: 5 ms

Horizontal Viewing Angle: 160 degrees

Vertical Viewing Angle: 160 degrees

Maximum Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Cabinet Color: Black

VESA Mounting Compliant: VESA 100mm

Dimensions With Stand: 523.5 mm x 289 mm x 481.3 mm, 21" x 11" x 19"

Unit Weight: 19.8 lbs (9 kg)

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So far this isn't to bad of a LCD set. It does have some small problems with sharpness of things like letters and numbers but the graphics are just fine. I have it set to only a 6500F setting so there's not much heat all coming from the screen that I can feel. The wide screen takes a little time to get use to for I was on the 19 inch. for about 10 years. I am glad , so far, that I did get a LCD now.

19. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

What screen resolution do you have it set to?

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I believe it is 1680 X 1050.

21. John99 Banned Banned

You cannot go messing around with the perforamce vs. appearance settings in Windows or your fonts will look like crap. Maybe that is the problem. LCDs are much better than CRT.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No, I just said a slight problem with sharpness, not that bad , just a little jagged at times. It isn't that noticable but it is there at times. I'm not messing with Windows much.

23. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

The reason I ask is because LCD monitors often don't respond well to settings other than default. It can make them blurry. Sometimes people set them to lower resolutions because they think the default makes the icons and fonts too small. The proper response is to set it to default, and bump up the size of the fonts and icons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.