Is this the most ridiculous bs you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Observe
    1. Just notice the experience. notice without getting caught in the experience. Experience without reacting to your experience.

2. Have a "teflon mind", letting experiences, feelings, and thoughts come into your mind and slip right out.

3. Control your attention, but not what you see. Push away nothing. Cling to nothing.

4. Be like a guar at the palace gate. Alert to every thought, feeling, and action that comes through the gate of your mind.

5. Step inside yourself and observe. Watch your thoughts coming and going, like clouds in the sky. Notice each feeling, rising and falling, like waves in the ocean. Notice exactly what you are doing.

6. Notice what comes through your senses-your eyes, ears, nose, skin, tongue. See oothers' actions and expressions. "Smell the roses."

DESCRIBE

1. Put words on the experience. When a feeling or thought arises, or you do something, acknowledge it. For example, say in your mind,"Sadness has just enveloped me."...or..."Stomach muscles tightening"...or..."A thought 'I can't do this' has come into my mind"...or..."walking,step, step, step"

2. Put experiences into words. Describe to yourself what is happening. Put a name on your feelings. Call a thought just a thought, afeeling just a feeling. Don't get caught in the content.

PARTICIPATE

1. Enter into your experiences. Let yourself get involved in the moment, letting go of ruminating. Become one with your experience, completely forgetting yourself.

2. Act intuitively from wise mind. Do just what is needed in each situation-a skillful dancer on the dance floor, one with the music and your partner, neither willful nor sitting on your hands.

3. Actively practice your skills as you learn them until they become a part of you, where you see them without self-consciousness. Practice: a) Changing harmful situations, b) Changing your harmful reactions to situations, c) accepting yourself and the situation as they are.

This was given to me by my therapist, as the beginning of dielectical behavioral therapy. I know. "the squirrel reaped my cat in the snowy field whil I sat lazily playing the tuba" is probably more ridiculous in total, I mean ridiculous in the sense of it being supposedly helpful to someone who is mrginally intelligent and mentally ill. What do you think?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Could you summarize in 20 words or less what is this about?

On the second thought, nevermind...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Nope. I've been trying for two days. I kind of feel like I'm holding the paper upside down, or should be trying to read it in a mirror at this point.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BlueMoose Guest

No its not all bullshit. When I´m in zone while playing billiards I often dont even remember what happened on the table besides that I won (or lose if playing better player), it will come to me if I force it but then I could slip out of the zone...That goes for some way in guitar playing too, I have to have blank mind to make best of it, and then the new stuff can appear to my playing, like saying to my self "what the fuck was that" in big surprise.

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

My experience is most people that I know, that get into Psychiatry is:

My Aunt:

Has been functionally nuts for at least 50 years, stemming from the young death of my Grandfather(she was 2nd youngest of 5 siblings which would set the average Jungian pondering). She is a nurse at a mental facility in L.A.

My friend from high school, tried to be a Psychiatrist knowing he himself needed to cope with mental issues. Sadly he couldn't make it and turned to drugs, I don't even know if he is alive now.

I have also heard of numerous other "cases" that got into Psychiatry. However I think this is "normal", people with poor eyesight often get into optometry, etc.

The problem arises in Psychiatry if the medical professional is still not cured. That's the blind leading the blind.

9. BlueMoose Guest

Yeah, now days they got pills for diseases we dont even have yet /end sarcasm.
    I have never interested being psychiatrist but I´m interested in psychology in general, about the zone thing, its just blocking your mind from everyday shit, remind yourself what you want accomplish and then relax and let it flow, or something like that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Gustav Banned Banned

of course
    soldiers are tree hugging hippies
    doctors are serial killers
    cops are criminals

cool
    it all makes sense now
    thanks for the insight

11. Gustav Banned Banned

the frikkin bottom line is ....if one is unable to think for themselves there are those who can.