Ladies and Gentlemen.. Why ?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Why do we bother attempting to convince others of the rightness or wrongness of an argument, when we know that in all likelihood, our Ideas will not change their minds, or their lives.

So, why do we bother ?

Is it out of some intrinsic belief that our idea is right, and we must stand by it ?
    Is it out of some belief that we are better if we can convince someone of our ideas ?
    Is it because we have to justify it to ourselves ?
    Or is it simply a matter of honor ?.

Only a very few have had their minds changed by anything posted here. I have, but as for the majority, not many people can say they've changed, from simple exposure to argument. These are the same people who claim to be open minded.

There is of course ,the whole likelihood that the answer is simple, that we simply argue, because we like refuting the same, same , same ,and same points again, and again, and again. That our ego, loves beating or at least thinking that we've beaten,(when in reality, we haven't), the Other person.
    So much for progress.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

What was the question again?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Why do you or others bother trying to convince people of your point of view, or your argument ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

think it's self affirmation to a degree. People are going to hold up their models against other peoples, and in some cases make adjustments.

All is not lost. remember how you felt the first time someone jumped up and down on your world view/belief system. If you're like most, you got emotional and confused as to how people could see things so differently.

Perhaps now you don't bother getting as angry. IMO, that's a growth on your part that has much value. Not that you "gave up" but that you accept the fact that a differing opinion will always be present. Also, that it's what sets you apart and defines your personality.
    But yeah, it's easy to see why Gov. for instance, can get in a stand off to where nothing gets done at all.

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I'm always aware that a differing opinion was present. I just don't bother as much refuting them as I did before. I don't see the point. Perhaps, I've accepted that I can't change their minds, despite the fact that others have changed mine.

9. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

The best you can hope for is to throw up an issue or example that wasn't considered before.
    If you can present a new question or new direction of thought for someone, though it's not as glorious as a concession, it's worth something.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Many people argue even if they agree with what your opinion is about something. They enjoy "stirring the pot" and making life difficult because that's just the way they like it to be. I've seen posters here take both sides of an issue at different times so I see what they are "up to".

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Because dumbness must be punished.

12. BlueMoose Guest

I have gave up long ago that I could prove someone wrong here, I just leave something to pounder and information, if some one is interested, good, if not...well, its nothing off from me.
    My personal opinion is that there is not just enough sincere debaters here, and the flamers, trollers, propagandist and like are killing the threads. this goes for politics, world events and religion sub forums.

Communist Terrorist-Lover Anti-USA Antisemitic Tin Foil Hat User Uneducated Living On Moms Basement Pot-Head Drinking Kool Aid, I mean when you are faced silly shit like this with no real arguments it really kills the mood for going on.

13. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

You and I think a lot alike, its quite scary. :cheers:

14. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I argue so I can become better at arguing, but mostly so I can see what others believe. How else is one supposed to know what and why someone believes without them saying it?