Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by James R, Sep 23, 2008.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Now that the second Mafia game has ended, I'm willing to run a third one. (I also have a little more time now.)

This one is titled: The Enemy Within, and the game has now started. If you're interested in acting as a "stand-by" in case a player drops out, please send me a PM to let me know. The game thread is here:

[thread]85871[/thread]

It is a little different to previous mafia games.

The general premise is this:

All players are doing a stint at a research base in Antarctica. It is winter, and you're all stuck there until the ships come back in spring. One night, a strange light is seen in the sky. It looks like a meteor or something, and it seems to land near the base. A team is sent out to check it out...

Players will be assigned either as Humans or Aliens. Initially, there will be a small number of aliens. But aliens will have the power to convert one person to an alien each night. Human players get to "kill" a suspected alien once each day. Play continues until either everybody left in the game is an alien, or all aliens are killed.

I will think about special roles etc. and let you know more details.

To ensure that players who sign up actually play the game, there is a rule that any player who does not post at least once in any 24 hour period will be automatically eliminated from the game. Days and nights will work similarly to the previous mafia games, but I will make each day at least 24 hours long.

If you have any other suggestions about game mechanics, please post them here.

If you want to participate, please post in this thread, like this:

Join game: Enmos

or whatever. Make it bold, so I can easily see these messages.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BlueMoose Guest

BlueMoose

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Guess whether I'm playing or not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Join Game: Betrayer 0f Hope

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Join Game: CheskiChips

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Join Game: Asguard
    just one point james, i thought about running something similar for game two, the only difference was i was going to run it on a viral line and call it something like "bio hazard"

the only problem was i couldnt balance the game, even if you start with 1 alien (or in my case, case zero) there is symply no way that the humans (or uninfecteds) can win unless they get lucky and take the other side out on day one

say we start with 10 players

day one- the ratio is 9:1
    one player dies 8:1
    night one- 8:2
    day 2- 7:2
    night 2- 6:3
    day 3- we say they start hitting the right targets 6:2
    night 3- 5:3
    day 4- 5:2
    night 4- 4:3
    day 5- 4:2
    night 4- 3:3 (at this point the infected or the aliens win)

its impossable because as the numbers on the infected drop they are raised in the night by the same number

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  9. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

Count Me In!

Join: 11PaRcal (Not PaScal as Inzomnia and Asguard seem to think)

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

my apologises 11parcal

11. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

No problem

, lol just always bothered me slightly dunno why :shrug:

12. phoenix2634 Registered Senior Member

Join Game: phoenix2634

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Asguard,

You're right. Having one alien kill and one conversion per day makes it impossible for the non-aliens to win.

I will think about how to balance things better.

It will probably mean introducing some special powers for the humans. But to keep things interesting I will probably also do so for (some of) the aliens.

Let me think about it. I'll try my best to balance things before starting the game.

I'm thinking that all powers will be published in advance, and like in game 1 roles will be public. I think public roles give the townies/innocents more to work with, whereas hidden roles make everybody a blank slate.

And, of course, the humans will start off with a whole heap of powers, relatively speaking, which will decrease as people are converted. I think I will make it so special non-alien powers are lost on conversion to an alien. But, on the other hand, special alien powers may be gained...

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Players so far:

BlueMoose
    BoH
    CheskiChips
    Asguard
    11parcal
    pheonix2634

That's six so far. Want more that 10, preferably, but we'll see how things go.

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Join game: Challenger78

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

only problem (and the reason i abandoned the idea) that either you over power the humans or the game ends up as pure chance. i couldnt see anyway to make the game about skill rather than either being able to predict a winner before the game starts or throwing the game into the ream of pure chance.

for instance i thought about having a few doctors who could pretect people at night but the infected not knowing who they were pretecting (the way i ran the doctors roll this time) but this just makes the docs the target and puts the game into the realm of chance rather than skill.

as it was i wasnt happy with how much tinkering i was forced to do with the game last time trying to keep the town and the mafia balanced

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Asguard,

I don't see why the game would be "pure chance", any more than any of the other mafia games we've had so far. The aliens will still not want to vote one of their own out, same as mafia don't want their own voted out. Over time, voting patterns will potentially give away information. And I will probably arrange for other means of getting information too.

One thing I'd like to try to do, though, as I did in the first game, is have it all planned out before we start. Tweaking the game as it is played is unfair to the players, I think. They should all know up front how things are going to work. The only exception is any "hidden" powers, which I will also fix at the start. I will not be introducing new powers or rules half way through the game, unless absolutely necessary (and then I will clearly publish them so everybody knows).

18. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

My apologies, 11parcal

. PaScal reminds me of the SI unit of pressure measurement

I am interested in the 3rd game, but I will wait first for sometime, because I might
    away for few days within the next couple of weeks.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

inzomnia,

I'll put you down for it if you like. If you need to drop out half way through, I'll see if somebody can replace you.

20. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Well, if you say so:

Join game: inzomnia

I would know few days in advance if I have to take few days off, so I will inform you
    in advance. Thanks!

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

james was that a dig at me?

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I didn't intend it that way, Asguard.

I have been thinking, and I have some good "powers" in mind for both aliens and humans. I need to think some more about potential actions and votes to make sure things are balanced.

Alien "special powers" will be introduced gradually during the game, since initially there will be only one or two aliens (depending on total number of players). As aliens are added each night, added individual aliens will bring new powers to the game. There will also be opportunities for humans to "de-alienise" aliens, which should make things interesting.

I will think more about this. Hopefully, we'll have enough players by the time I log in again to start - I have to go now.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yours might work mine definitly wouldnt have

i wanted to do something similar to what would really happen with an outbreak (thats what i was going to call it, not bio hazard i only just rembered)

so each night, each infected player choses one extra person to infect. then they have a latency period and then they chose someone. the problem is that even if i manipulate the powers and the latency period it goes like this

(nights shown only and one day latency)
    case zero (first infection)
    infects 1 person making 2 cases
    origional infects 1 more making 3
    origional and first infected infect 2 more making 5

there was no way in HELL i could balance that (thought it would have made a good game if short)