Democracy, and society

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

After thinking closely about the two, I've come to a realization. Democracy makes no sense.

First off, I am a believer in the will of the people prevailing over all else. In that way, you could call me "democratic", however democracy is something totally different.

First, let's get to society.

Within a society, which is totalitarian by principle, we have certain ways of doing things, certain norms, etc

Certainly, we have diversity, but there are, in my opinion, certain basic factors that any true society must be in complete conformity about

1) Culture (including religious beliefs or lack thereof)

- The reason: culture plays a massive role in determining norms, as well as practices, and such. Culture also builds a sense of identity, loyalty, and community which a true society would have.

2) Moral code

- It only makes sense that a true society is in total agreement over right and wrong. I will explain further in a sec.

3) Loyalty

- How can we call ourselves a society if we aren't loyal to each other?

4) Identity and Community

- How can we call ourselves a society if we have nothing in common and don't really care about each other? i.e, if we lack a sense of unity

5) Goals

- Of course, the goal of each individual is to enjoy his or her life. However, having a unified social goal would be the mark of a true society.

A society is what I would define as such a group of people that posess the above. It makes them truly a nation, as one, and it makes them that specific group of people.

Of course, there is no nation that I can think of in the West where the entire nation is conform over the above things. What does that mean? It means there is no single society. There are many sub societies.

And that's just fine.....except.....democracy.

There is only one government, and many different ideologies and societies. How does it make any sense that they have to fight for the same office? It doesn't make sense because there will always be a society that is upset or unsatisfied.

Shouldn't government cater to the needs of society? Yes! Duh! But then that eliminates the point of democracy because everyone agrees with each other.

Now I'm not saying everyone should be a robot and exactly alike; however, the factors I listed, I feel are basic factors that are important to be conform if you are to call yourself a society.

OK, so let me pick a random country: the UK. By the standards I mentioned, there is no true single society, but rather many sub societies.

Yet, there's only one United Kingdom government....so democracy doesn't make sense if we are to have seperate societies fighting over ONE government. It makes more sense for them to have independent governments. Nations should be formed on societies, after all, right? Otherwise we have these different societies with their own moral codes, cultures, and goals all fighting over the same government.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I see nobody had any comment...

Let me rephrase it so it's easier to understand: if we have different opinions, why have one government?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

That certainly is the problem with democracy. It gives the majority the right to control the few (even if it's nearly half and half). That's not just a problem with democracy, but one of large central government in general. We would be much better off if a lot of the federal government's power were given to state and local governments instead.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Democracy lets us choose who we want to represent us. Those we choose would try to have the same thinking as the rest of society does, or at least the MAJORITY of society. We elect them to only decide how certain things are done, raods built, army deployment, social services etc..

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

There will always be people who are unhappy though so it doesn't work