Answer this

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Challenger78, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Has sport ever initiated any political, social, or any change of importance on it's own ?, Has it changed opinion like music or film ?, (see, Bob Dylan, Sicko, etc),

Please substantiate with evidence.

There are of course those that will take this as more anti sport vitriol.. Take it whatever way you will, while I grudgingly admit that sport brings people together, It hasn't initiate any serious opinion or political change.. Or has it ?.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

the cricket boycoptt of South Africa was quite worth while to end apartied but of course apartied would ahve ended without it, but it did give out a message.

BUt sport shouldnt be use for politics

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

So sport brings about awareness to those who watch it, but has it Initiated something ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

2 wars,my friend was telling me about it.one was in south america,ill ask him again cause ive forgotten.

8. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

i dunno

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well there was a football match between Honduras and El Salvador in 1969.
    Depends on how you define 'cause of war' though. It sure caused rioting between the two countries but there was already a lot of tension and gathering lots of rivals together in one place was the cause of the riots, not really the sport.:shrug:

11. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Sport makes many people happy, is that not important? Also, millions of people living from sport, either in direct (professional) or in indirect ways.

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

making people happy never stopped wars or suffering, in fact in some cases it led to them.

13. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

So for a thing to be meaningful it has to be able to stop war? The fact that sport is a source of income for millions of people is not important?

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When Jackie Robinson (Roosevelt "Jackie" Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) became the first African-American major league baseball player of the modern era in 1947.[1] While not the first African American professional baseball player in United States history, his Major League debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers ended approximately eighty years of baseball segregation, also known as the baseball color line, or color barrier. In the United States at this time, many white people believed that blacks and whites should be segregated or kept apart in many phases of life, including sports and daily life.) started to play in the major leagues , many white people were offended but as time went by they strarted to accept him as just one of the team members.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Robinson

15. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

This guy did marathon to help people curing cancer:

I think this achievement is socially, economically, and psychologically important.

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Terry fills the universal archetype for "Hero" to a "T".

Also for Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_Series

Americans wanted to nuke them and we just wanted to play hockey with them.

17. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

First black dude to play baseball in the majors was a HUGE deal.

18. BlueMoose Guest

Here in Finland politics and sports went hand in hand, we run our self to the map of world through Olympics, Kolehmainen, Nurmi, and plenty of others. This is how we would like to see our selfs back then, real legend Tapio Rautavaara, Olympic winner in Javelin, Folk Singer and Movie Star. He has been real inspiration for many here, even today.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

When we won Hockey World Champion tournament -95 whole nation went crazy, it did electrify whole nation mentally, we were recovering from big economic depression then.

Sports in general has been building blocks of national pride for small nation like us.

19. BlueMoose Guest

-I have always think that Canada and Finland are many ways kinda same,
    maybe its the snow and darkness in winters and having megalomaniac neighbor.

-You and USSR wiped our asses off the hockey rink but oh boy did we try,
    Calgary Olympics -88 silver medal was huge "win" for us back then, we stole the medals from Sweden because in the last game USSR hadnt anything at stake anymore them being already Gold medalists lol I still remember the long and sad faces of Sweden players in the audience

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!