Marrying an atheist

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Sep 22, 2008.

?

Do you know a practising American Christian married to an outed atheist?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Some other opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In the US, its easier for a theistic foreigner [of ANY religion] to openly marry a self declared atheist, than it is for an American Christian.

Comments?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

How so?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't know, I was told this by an American Baptist turned athiest. I was curious to find out how far it is true.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In my state, I don't think the paperwork on the marriage license even includes such information.

What is this really about ?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Exactly what I said, we were comparing notes since one of my Christian friends married an athiest.

Do you know any American who is a Christian who is openly married to an atheist that is out of his closet?

9. John99 Banned Banned

Does this friend live in your head?

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I know a few marriages that more or less resemble the one in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Usually it's the wife that is the churchgoer, sometimes the husband (the only specific example of that I personally know of ended in divorce).

Still don't know what's driving this. No doubt it will all be made clear eventually.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So you know American couples where one is a practicing Christian and one is openly an atheist?

12. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I do. It happens. Christianity in the US would be as diverse as most large religions in other countries. You have a wide variety of churches - I mean wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide - a wide variety of take on Christianity - wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide - and the types of community - or lack thereof - that surround these churches - wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide - let alone practicing Christians who are not members of certain churches.

In the big cities, for example, really no one would even notice in many cases, except perhaps close friends or family.

I am sure there are some groups that would put pressure on members.

Also the concept of 'openly atheist' comes off rather weird to me. I know of very few people who proclaim at dinner parties in front of the whole group or at town meetings that they are atheists. They have no special outfits to brandish and do not need to stifle the urge to hold hands or publically kiss other atheists. There are no atheist bars, that I am aware of. I don't think 'closeted atheist' works as a concept when talk about the US in general. I am sure some people are closeted atheists in some places, but often all they have to do is say something like 'I'm not much for church.' letting the ambiguity be interpreted incorrectly by the questioner.

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

HAHA! I was thinking the exact same thing. It's funny no matter what the topic is, SAM always has a "friend" that did this and that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

I know loads of atheist/christian couples. Even know of a couple of Muslim/Atheist and Muslim/Christian couples as well.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It's a simple matter for anyone to get married in the US, that's why we have Vegas.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You missed my question. I think I will add a poll

You don't have many friends, I take it. We Indians have an extensive global network.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Any American Christian can marry any American atheist easily, it's a non-issue. Any foriegner marrying any American usually requires alot more paperwork, I doubt if the religion makes any difference.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So you know a religious American Christian married to a non-religious American atheist?

Where both are open about it?

19. John99 Banned Banned

What odd questions this person asks.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't know any, but religion plays no part in getting a marriage license.

21. John99 Banned Banned

As far as i know only Islam has marriage restrictions.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Okay thanks. I am not interested in legal restrictions, only social attitudes/inhibitions/perceptions.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

And, only your own, of course.