PC goes black when playing a game.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Today , for the first time, while I was playing a war game with many graphics, the screen suddenly went black then the PC turned itself off. Does anyone know why this happened. Every time I try to play that game the same thing happens now. I've updated the driver for the graphic card and everything else is up to date as well. I have no viruses or malware. It only seems to be happening when I use the graphic intense game because otherwise I can get online and Email just fine without it going black.

Anyone know why this is going on??? Oh, I get little black lines on my monitor every so often as well now. Little disruptions on my screen. Thank you for any ideas about what's going on.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It happens with any game that's really graphic loaded. Easier games like chess don't have any problem at all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Classic case of overheating. I doubt this is a power problem.

1. put some fresh compound between the heatsink and the cpu
    2. Make sure there isn't a mammoth sized dust bunny caked on the fans
    3. Make sure there is enough airflow in the case. You need 1 fan pointing in, and one fan pointing out. I usually have the bottom case fan (towards the front of the case) pointing in, and the topmost case fan (under the PSU next to the CPU) pointed out.
    4.Inspect the fan on the graphics card, and make sure it isn't clogged/dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.