For Guys: Do you cry in theaters ?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

If you see a particularly moving film ?

For everyone else:

Is it socially acceptable for a guy to cry in response to a film, much like the hyped stereotype of the female movie goer ?

Myself, I personally don't show any emotion beyond laughter and derisive noises at the theaters. If I really like a film, I usually express my emotions in the form of writing. Or just watching over and over again.

Oh, And I apologize for the splurge of posts, I'm distracting myself right before an english exam.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

No.

I've never seen a film sad enough.
    I did post in that sad films thread though, but I doubt a film would ever make me cry.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you're not around, and the fact that you didn't call. But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.

/cries along with kat

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

fuck you all
    fucking fuckers

/macho mode

8. Gustav Banned Banned

9. superstring01 Moderator

Schindler's List was about the saddest movie I've ever seen. I got pretty misty-eyed. That's the closest I've ever come, as an adult, to crying over a movie. (my dad claims that I and my siblings sobbed over ET way back in the 80's)

As a general rule -- whether by biology or education -- men do not seek out catharsis through movies or books. The male emotional safety valve, though less efficient, directs men towards more physical and aggressive activities to vent pent-up emotions.

~String

10. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I've never cried in a Movie theater. I have peed off the balcony though. I guess it's ok to do so, so long as you don't get it in anyone's popcorn. I pee on my front lawn sometimes too. My wife says I shouldn't, but I always wait until it's dark, and the neighbors almost always close their blinds if they see me come outside.

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Hell no.

My wife cried at the end of "Return of the King". I've always wondered why (it's fiction for krissakes!!).

12. Gustav Banned Banned

misogynistic rapists!

13. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I had tears at the end of 3:10 to Yuma. I'm the exception to string's general rule; though I'm physically very active, my emotional release definitely comes from movies/books/TV.

14. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

We saw a film in school, I cried then, and that is the only time I have ever cried because of a movie. It was nonfiction, about the JFK assassination, the MLK assassination, and the children's march. Man that was sad

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I never cry when I'm sad, only when in great rapture and excitement. Usually from a work of art, a poem or a film, in a magnificent concert.

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I get misty eyed in movies all the time. I think it's a credit to the movie maker for making me care enough about the characters to be emotionally envolved.

LOL...I once got misty-eyed in a talking dog movie that featured Michael J. Fox, Don Amichi, as two dogs, and Shelly Long as the voice of a cat. Pretty silly, but I'm not ashamed.

17. Maxi Registered Senior Member

when im drunk sure but that's only because somehow i twist it into exreme sadness in my mind... crawy drunkeness... oh and only when im alone... otherwise no... cant do it

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Bambi made me cry and I was only 6 years old then. What a movie to take a child to!

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

My brother was born evil. He would check frequently in theatres to see when I would cry, even when he was little.

/he wouldn't.

20. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

He was just looking out for you

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

er, no, he thought it was funny.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Very rarely would I cry at a movie. But I will admit that I actually got misty eyed while watching a recent Sept 11 special on TV. They were playing a bunch of the actual phone calls from the people on the planes and it got to me. I certainly wasn't outright crying, but tears were welling up a bit and then I started getting angry. I was really surprised that Sept 11 could still stir such strong emotions.

I was sure to look away and dab my eyes so on one would notice, of course. The only times I've cryed openly as an adult were when my wife's cat died (we had to put it to sleep, she started crying, then I started crying, it was pathetic) and when I found out that one of my children had Down's syndrome.

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

There are girls that cry at the theatre/movies?

I'm gonna hunt em down and kill em. They make me ashamed to be female.

I mean, cry because your son/daughter just made you really proud, but a movie? Please go develop some mental "Kevlar"...

You shouldn't feel pathetic for that. It's normal.

At least, I very rarely cry, I'm much more of a 'scream rage and destroy things' kind of girl, but even I cried when my pet cat got an AIDS-like virus and had to be put down. I was very fond of her.