I'd just like to thank..

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

The Americans. (The Citizens, duh!).

While your government makes me laugh, and your politics make me shake my head, personal encounters have proven you lot to be reasonable, level headed individuals, stereotypes nonwithstanding.
    It's a pity that a percentage continue to give you a bad name internationally (stereotypical tourists and such)..

But yeah, You folks can be kind, generous people, but for some reason, a lot of you choose not to. (and yes, I'm talking about voters here).

So folks, despite all the stupidity that we might find in the US, there are still decent people living there.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Now that the warm and fuzzy feeling has passed..

Cynicism RULZ !.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Thank you. And just FYI, I didn't bother to vote the last four times and neither will I vote this time, for the same reason - NO one worth voting for!!!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Never understood that thinking.
    Bush won in 2000 because he stumped on tax cuts, smaller Gov. and a modest foreign policy.
    Of course, it wasn't what we got.
    Still, it goes on record as to what put him in office. That accounts for something in my mind.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Quite simple, really. If both choices disgust you (as they do right now, by the way), you simply abstain. I'm not going to support someone I don't want.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I'll be facing my first vote in about a year.. we have to vote in australia, or get a fine.

10. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I feel that if I don't vote, I have no right to complain and I enjoy complaining far too much for that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:

I don't get that either. Of course, here they bank on the hopes that no ones paying attention.

12. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Americans, in general, do not go on trips outside the US, except perhaps to Canada or Mexico. Those you meet in person on those trips have either been saving for years, and this is their first time more than 20 miles from home, or are the privileged elite. Freedom requires us to allow the fringe elements to be as loud and obnoxious as they want to, while the rest of us just try to keep the country functioning. Average Joe Voter will probably be completely ignored by the media and by politicians, because his values are middle of the road, he want to do what he can when he can, but he's barely scraping by in his own situation now. Still, more often than not, he gives either money or time to a community organization, knowing he can't do a thing for someone starving in Africa, he just does what he can. Who will he vote for? The candidate who comes across as more trustworthy or less of an ass.

Dubya got elected, I think, because he was simply more of an average guy than Gore. Gore is a smart guy, and if he runs again, he'll get a good shot at the job, he just had no public speaking skills.

Obama comes across as a load of useless BS. Combine that with the fact that he has alienated most of the electorate in one way or another,(remember the 'country' people clinging to their guns and religion?) and the fact that he is right out there with his plan to raise taxes, Joe Average probably doesn't think much of him. (I hate to mention race, as it should be a non-issue, but Jesse Jackson saying he wants to cut his nuts off for talking down to black voters may also have an effect.)

Mccain, on the other hand, is ancient. He hasn't done or said anything particularly spectacular. If he just stays shut up, Joe average might turn out in droves for Mccain, just to vote against Obama.

Major fear-Obama gets elected, some white supremacist shoots him dead. On that day, My family and I are not even going to bother packing. We're going to Canada.

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Actually, The Americans I've met were in Rome.. and those on this forum that is.

I actually think what Obama said about guns and religion had some truth to it.

What else are bitter, dispossessed people around the world going to cling to ?

14. tim840 Registered Senior Member

but not everyone thats religious or gun-owning is bitter and dispossessed. You cant forget that many Americans are still Christians - the country is far more religious than any other Western nation. And I would guess that most of those people, as well as the gun owners, are not "clinging" to religion or guns.

15. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I think most people are good people. I never have to look hard to find people who are willing to lend a helping hand.

16. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I think most people are self-absorbed, useless wastes of oxygen, water, and nutrients. Anytime I go outside my door I face various worthless humans. To see one I oonly have to look in the mirror.

17. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Don't think like that Ham...you have just as much worth as me....wait...maybe that wasn't a good example.

Things will get better after your treatment.