A new super-fast internet.....

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 18, 2008.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Apparently, when CERN isn't colliding particles (and ripping massive holes in the space-time continuum), it's busy working on a new "internet" which will be 10,000 times faster than our current version. The project -- known as "the grid" -- is built atop completely fiber optic networks, and utilizes modern routing centers. By keeping traffic out of our current phone and data systems, the researchers have been able to achieve speeds heretofore unseen on previous networks. The system connects from CERN to 11 centers around the globe, and will be switched on when the Large Hadron Collider is activated, on what the group is calling "Red Button Day." Project heads believe a network with this speed will lead to all sorts of futuristic innovations -- like true cloud computing, holographic video conferencing.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/07/cern-creates-a-new-super-fast-internet-invites-tons-of-people-t/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Whoa. Faster p*rn downloads.

Is this like LAN but using a new type of hardware ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I wonder if "faster" translates to less latency, or more bandwidth?

What stops us from doing holographic video conferencing now? I thought the problem was the holo-projector itself, not the data being sent to it. The average consumer doesn't want to buy a univac sized device that makes a tiny holo between a pair of mirrors......that you can only see if you stare at the correct angle.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I think it's less latency, the article wasn't specific.

8. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's the cost of making holographic projectors.

Edit: Actually it's very obviously a data transfer problem. We could always do it starwars style, and have it on a disk, but you know how choppy a normal video conversation is, can you imagine a internet enabled holographic projector live streaming?

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So it will only take 1 second to download a 3 hours movie? The end of the film industry, as we know it.

10. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

too bad we wont see this commercially available for another 10 years.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Dream on. It will be a LONG time before we see any speeds like that!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

On the other hand I predicted that storage will get minimized so fast that on a USB drive you will be able to buy 100 movies with 10K songs, for probably $100 in NYC... Let's give it 5 years...