Why is it so haaard... to STUDY!!!!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously. In yrs 7-10, no sweat, just pay attention in class, and study 2 to 3 weeks before the exam..

In yr 11, or Grade 11 or Secondary 5 or JC 1... Its so hard to buckle down, and study.

Its as if you do everything you can to avoid it, eat, shit, iron your uniform, clean your room.. but you won't touch a book.

Add that to the boringness you find in school and you have a case for drop out..
    which is shameful too, because if you drop out after doing to well in junior school, out of a selective(academically) school, you're fucked.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

cos its really boring. find interesting stuff, find interesting ways of studying, figure out a reward system. also think whether you actually want good marks or not. that's what life's about, looking at your options.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BlueMoose Guest

I dont have no problem in studys but thats because I study on my own only what
    really interest me, sounds like you are studying for obligation for _______ ?
    But thats just me, I dont give a shit about formal education because so often
    it produces just talking heads, its amazing sometimes how clueless those educated
    people are, but that said, I dont have anything against educated people, only those pisses me off whom thinks that there is nothing more to know when having some kind of diploma and then swelling in their own excellence.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

shakespeare.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Too many distractions. Gotta focus. First, turn off the computer

9. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I never revised once during year eleven, I just couldn't be arsed.

GCSEs don't mean much anyway, so long as you get Cs in Maths, English and Science, you should be Okay.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Done that. It's so tempting to come back, turn it on, go finish a question and come back.

I think I need to time lock the power.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It isn't shameful at all. There are thousands of jobs like carpenters, electricians, police officers, postal workers and on and on that require no formal education . Those jobs are in great demand and you can make as much if not more working in them as those who get a college degree. So never think just because you don't do well in school that you can't find good, decent paying jobs because that's just not the way it is.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  12. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

during my exam periods my room was the cleanest its ever been to the point that everything was parallel or perpendicular the everything else.
    sams advice is sound ive been late for thing that i actually want to do because of the internet...im sooooo glad i didnt have it at uni,although i did study for all of my 2nd year exams infront of the tv.
    work with treats.if you study for an hour you get to do something you like for 10 minutes.

13. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I had to study shakespeare in high scool. The only way I found to do it was to read an act, then write it in plain language as closely as possible without rereading the act. I think I got a high B that semester.

14. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

why is it so hard to study?

maybe because its no fun.

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You were never attracted to English, then?

16. BlueMoose Guest

Ophiolite

Mikä sinun ongelmasi on, lapsellinen kommentti toisen kielitaidosta, loukkasiko kommenttini
    sinua jotenkin vai miksi edes vaivauduit kommentoimaan, henkilökohtaista kaunaa vai yritys olla nokkela ?

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

18. BlueMoose Guest

New angle on studying Shakespeare, check who was Francis Bacon.

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Pardonin minua. Kirjoititte sama kuin huolimattoman Englanti puhuja. Te ette kirjoita kuten henkilö, jonka toinen kieli on Englanti. Vastaanottakaa minun anteeksipyynnön.

20. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

OK then.

BTW, are you going to make me go to my translator or do either of you want to use English and let me in on that exchange?

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Blue Moose didn't like my criticism of his English. I apologised. I took him to be a sloppy native speaker, not an English-as-second-language speaker, hence my initial criticism.
    Hungarian is the closest to Finnish you encounter in Europe, I believe.

22. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

All about focus and the state of your mind. I would often cause myself to panic by trying to make myself aware of the amount of work I had to actually get done, I would get out my work over the past year, past exam papers, textbooks etc. - force myself into a difficult position.

Once I became aware I had a lot to do, I would break it all down, sort a timetable out and just get cracking. And just reading and making notes is pointless, you have to do practice questions under exam conditions, you have to make sure you know close to everything. During my A-Levels exam period I would wake up at about 10am and start revising then, I would only take breaks to eat and say my prayers - I would finish revising at about 7-8pm and even then do some more in the night. I strolled through the exams, got many high As.

I didn't revise that much for uni exams but my technique was excellent, I got some obscene exam scores. For 1 module I didn't attend one seminar or lecture for the whole year (I wasn't even following what was going on), I got a C for the assignment (which is not good) - the assignment amounted to 50% of the course, my performance in the exam pushed my grade up to an A - I completely obliterated that exam.

Anyway, I think it is getting harder to revise. A lot of learning materials are on the net, this is the same place we can find youtube.com. I sort of struggled doing my dissertation, when doing research I always ended up on some stupid website on the net and ended up wasting an hour. I also found it difficult to work in university and at libraries.

23. BlueMoose Guest

Great effort ! If you only know how silly your writing sounds in Finnish

The translator doesnt work well with Finnish language, we have 15 cases to one word here, maybe the most complex language in the world.

Apologies accepted, I was sloppy because I was in hurry, funny thing is that
    our other official language is Sweden, but because of our history with them
    most of us dont bother to learn it. We have English lessons starting here
    in third grade in elementary school, Sweden starts in 7th grade, so in some way English is the secondary language here.

And my apologies to educated people, education is good, but self learning is
    the best way, maybe not in the job markets though. Best thing is if you are
    educated in area that you really want to learn, so no conflict there.
    Hey, I´ve been educated my self too, ooooops.

Let me correct...

Pahoitteluni. Kirjoititte samoin kuin huolimattoman Englannin puhuja. Te ette kirjoita kuten henkilö jonka toinen kieli on Englanti. (Vastaanottakaa (minun)) Anteeksipyyntöni.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008