Health problem

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Challenger78, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

My mother is pretty sick, and we've been to the doctor, he pretty much just gave her some antibiotics, but that was last week.
    She did have an urinary tract infection at that time. Thats gone, but she's much worse than before, she seems weaker now. The doctor just recommended to continue the course of antibiotics, combined with anti flu meds/ simple cold and flu stuff.

Complaints include:
    • Back pain
    • consistent coughing
    • persistent headache
    • flu like symptoms
    • malaise
    • sweating
    • recurring fever

Anyhow, we're on our way to get a second opinion, just wandering what you guys thought it was. I'm not stupid, I know that the internet isn't the best place for a diagnosis, just thought it would be interesting to see who came up with the closest one, since this is a science forum.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

if she is that bad take her to a hospital where they can put her on IV fluids and run blood tests

does she have sensitivity to light and can she touch her chin to her collor with no stiffness or pain?

if the answer to these to is no then take her STAIGHT to a hospital and make sure you tell them that (at the desk because they will need to keep track of the people in the waiting room just incase)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What Asguard said. Can she turn her neck side to side? Up and down? Any pain or stiffness?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thinking the same thing i am sam?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. John99 Banned Banned

Superb advice Asguard.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually challanger if she does have sensitivity to light and is she does have stiffness or pain in her neck forget about taking her to the hospital.

call an ambulance and tell them you suspect meningococcal or meningitis because most ambulance services now carry pennicilin to deal with these quicker

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I asked, and she could, plus theres no sensitivity to light or sound. It was the first thing I checked. before posting here..

Whats mystifying me is that this is either a kidney or a bladder infection, but she claims that they're gone.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

any pain or tenderness in her lower back or abdomen?

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes you should take her to the hospital to see proper medical authorities. Don't be afraid to take her to the emergency room if in doubt about the best course of action. In order to do an proper assesment more information is needed. Other questions that could be asked, does she have a rash, is the cough produtive, how high is the fever, vital signs, abdominal pain?

You need to rule out encephalitis, menengitis, or a kidney infection.

But as you point out, none of us here can provide a diagnosis for your mothers condition (we do not have the training nor expertise). I wish you, your mother, and your family the best. I hope your mother recovers quickly.

In the United States only a board qualified physican can make a diagnosis.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

challanger this number might help:

13 43 25 84
    im not sure if this is the national number because i cant rember the name of the program but this is the one DEFINITLY for queensland. if it doesnt work call 12 456 and ask for the goverments medical hotline

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Slight, It was the most intense when she went to see the doctor last wednesday.
    It's a general malaise, and her chest hurts from all the coughing, My main concern is that even after the major pain (abdominal pain) was gone, she started coughing even worse, and when she tried to go to work, her fever increased.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i could go through a whole check list of questions like how old is she, how long has she had the fever, what temp is it ect but your better off phoning the number i posted above and seeing what they say (for one thing its quicker

)

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

No, nothing other than the usual snot and phlegm. Thanks Joe, Asguard and the others have raised a few good points to check.
    I might be overreacting here.. but hey, no harm done right, I'm going to force her to see a second doctor.

Thanks mate, I'll call if I'm not satisfied with the second doctor's opinion (ie, if it's the same as the first, and if she continues to get worse).

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

A phone number, good idea. And who said socialized medicine was bad?

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

it was recently anounced so that they could free up A&E's, its been advertised CONSTANTLY here but i never had the presents of mind to write the number down.

i think the services started in victoria but was extended to cover the whole country

FOUND IT

for SA anyway

here its 1800 022 222

unfortunatly it looks like the number is different in each state which is a pain in the ass
    it looks like (from the department of health and aging) this number is the same for:

SA
    ACT
    WA
    NT
    and possably NSW

i dont know wether queensland, victoria and tassi are using the same number or not

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

She reckons she can't wait long enough as a walk in, so I'm going to make an appointment for her. Can't really say much without coughing. but she's feeling better after some food.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

so challanger, what happened?

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Doctor simply prescribed some more pills. To stop the symptoms.. Seems ok now, still weak enough to stay home. Cough might be subsiding soon.

Add Nausea and Diarrhea to the list.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

how old is she?

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member