Attempting To Hack Lan

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by night, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. night Science Man Extrodinaire Registered Senior Member

I set up a local area network at my work (I own the company, so my intentions are not illegal) and I am using an employee computer that is connected to the lan. What I am trying to do is I am trying to hack my office computer to see if there are any holes in my network or something i can block with a firewall.

I have tried many things, Cain and Able, using cmd (ping, nbtstat -a, net share, net user, net view.)

Are there any other tactics that my employees could use to hack into my personal files??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Sure, they can walk into your office and start using your computer moments after you leave.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

why do you need to keep your documents secret from your employees?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

why dont you just put your confidential files on a flash drive and lock them in the safe?

vslayer, employee addresses for one thing MUST be kept confidential

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Never HAD any employees, have you? Ha-ha!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I can think of a few tools: Metasploit, Ettercap, Nmap, Nessus, the list could go on. Just search google for pen-testing. To make use of some of the tools, you'll probably need to really know what you're doing. Another option would be to hire a professional pen tester, but that might cost you.

If you're just worried about personal files, and you don't want to have to physically lock them in a safe, you could try using TrueCrypt, which lets you encrypt files in an encrypted container, and then mount it as a drive (with a strong password), where it's decrypted on the fly. It's a really neat program that everyone should use, and if you set it up correctly, you can have plausible deniability of the existence of your files.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you are just an SME, there is a likelihood that you might have just have a simple Router acting as a firewall to your network. You should note that those sort of Routers do have firewalls but they work on Firewalling your network from the outside world and not from each machine in your Network.

I you wanted to maintain a secure network with multiple machine that would require creating multiple internal networks and firewalling them individually. Of course this isn't usually an option in a SME because the cost usually outweighs having the 1 or 2 extra people to work with.

What Hackers usually confirmed in large Office blocks was that if they could walk through any security and sit down in an office unchallenged, they could hook up a laptop to a network and breach the security from the inside considering there were no firewalls from inside the building.

What this means is if you want to secure your network, you want to make sure that your IP range is small on your NAT and that you are using MAC address filters. This lessens (Not removes) security threats as while these sorts of actions aren't done your network could have someone login on their own computer and claim to be a legitimate member of your network.

You could also look at having a centralised server with the login system for other computers, whereby the computers themselves don't get passed the User login screen unless the user/pass exists on a main server.

If you are using wireless then obviously make sure you have a tight encryption scheme on your network.

At the end of the day though if you aren't running a Bank or shifting some major currency in Stocks/Shares, the likelihood is that most employee's would probably only be caught using the internet connection for casual surfing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.