Goerge Foreman Grill

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Sep 14, 2008.

1. superstring01 Moderator

I hate this thing. Does anybody have one? It's fracking impossible to clean. I was making some chicken burgers today and the cleanup of this one appliance was more labor than the preparation of the entire dinner.

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Do what you can, it all adds flavor. Don't be such a priss.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've always wanted one, but I always worried about the clean up. Now I know
    We just use the outside BBQ grill.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Just cool it and scrape off what you can. If you're really desperate you can take a squeezed out lemon or some dried tamarind, and rub it over the grease, then wipe it out with some cooking oil.

8. superstring01 Moderator

No "priss" here. I just want the fracking contraption to be clean.

So, am I right in assuming that you leave yours with little bits on it?

They sell it in India?

I took the easy, and non-organic route, and sprayed some greese disolver on it. I hate doing that because I worry about the residue.

~String

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Mail it to mom. They always know what to do.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Nope, I had a friend who had it. Its similar to a kitchen tandoor. Ours is at least 30 years old.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If you know any Indian store, you can get some coconut fibre coir. Its good for scrubbing such things. A little tamarind helps.

11. superstring01 Moderator

Mom gave it to me out of frustration, herself. "Oh, it's the perfect batchelor appliance. I can't be bothered with it, but I think you'll find it useful."

Upon later inquiry, "Yeah, honestly, I hated the thing... too hard to clean."

Me, "Oh. Um. Your generosity humbles me."

~String

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

oh snap! LMAO You're mom is hilariously evil

13. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I have one... with changeable plates!

14. superstring01 Moderator

Lies! Lies, I tell you!

~String

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

String you are talking to the wrong person, do you think he cleans it?

:roflmao:

We actually have 2 of them. I have a huge stainless steel one with 2 lids and a small white one.
    They work really great!! but you are right they are a bit of a pain to clean up.
    I just use that plastic grooved spatula that they give you. You must clean out whatever is left in there while the grill is still hot though or forget it. I get out most of what I can then go over the rest with a damp cloth. Then when I use it again I spray a bit of PAM on it.

I love it because I can just throw chicken breast, burgers whatever in there and just leave it. It takes hardly no time at all because the heat is coming from both sides. I like that you still get the grill marks just as if you were barbecuing, but don't feel like going outside.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  16. Tnerb Banned Banned

I got one and it's probably the best thing since the microwave (ok i am exagerating).
    But it's seriously awesome for burgers, just get used to cleaning it and your aok. Not much shit to bother with. Takes 300 minutes off and doesnt waste plates.

17. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

No, seriously, it's a new model, it's big, and it's very popular. Although I think its highest temperature is lower than that smaller one with irremovable plates. It also came with two drip trays and can be raised slightly on one side. Anyway, I still haven't figured out how to make a decent steak on it.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um string, how clean do you want it?

after all a barbie SHOULD have thinks all over it which add flavor (and also help it transfer heat better), just scrape it quickly while hot and oil it and then your ready to go again

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Is it the one with 2 separate lids like the one I described above? I got 2 drip trays with that one. You can heat up one side or both if you are grilling a lot of stuff.
    I don't find steak does that well in it either. I think that is better left for the barbecue. I find chicken breast, burgers, hotdogs, salmon steaks do really well in it.

Not to throw this off topic, but does anybody have that Chicken roaster thing? I think George Foreman came out with one now. You put a whole chicken in it and it spins
    around and roasts. I always wondered how good those things are and if it comes out better then roasting it in the oven. :shrug:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  20. superstring01 Moderator

It's not really a barbie. It's more of a panini press.

It really needs to get cleaned.

~String

21. Tnerb Banned Banned

Im so jeleous mine is so smaller

hehe

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you know you can buy a specially shaped brush designed for it dont you?

also its not no stick isnt it? (i dont know, dont own one). if its not buy yourself a wire brush and your job will be HEEPS easier.

just squirt white vingiar or cheep white wine on it when its still on and rub it down with newspaper. then scrub it with a wire brush for a few seconds and repeat step one.

Easy

23. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Yup! Removing the plates makes it a lot easier to clean. Hot dogs are really great! I got the grill because we live in an apartment and have no place to put a big barbecue thing. Well, my hopes are shattered. Just when I thought I got the gist of it, I went to the best steakhouse in NYC, and... I had their fillet mignon and the first bite nearly made me feel as if the grill I bought was a waste.