How to control location where small window opens?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Billy T, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I want to control where on my screen a new partial-screen window appears as it opens, but cannot find how. Can you tell me how?

I open many non-full screen windows, one after another, with Windows vista home basic every business day. (Morningstar sends me Email with many links to latest news on lots of different stocks.) Rather than wait for each to down load, I just move pointer, click on the full screen Morningstar Email to make the still down loading small window drop behind the Email and then click on the next link Morningstar has for me.

Some days, for unknown reason, these new small windows do appear more displaced to one side so I can click on the next link without need to make the one now downloading drop behind the Email. That is what I want to always do as then I can click only once to open all the links that display on one page of the Email.

Sorry to make new thread about something so trivial, but could not find existing one, even vaguely related to ask in. Thanks for any help you can give. Even if it is just to tell me Morningstar controls where the small window opens on your screen - nothing you can do.

I have a tip for anyone doing something like this:
    In Vista (at least) you can drag the window with the clock etc to any margin. Mine is at the right edge of the screen and about 1.5 inches wide. It displays the names of all the windows I am downloading as horizontal text. (As it does when it is in its normal horizontal position at the bottom of the screen, but now you can read the full name of perhaps twenty open windows as each only occupies very small vertical space. If you open more than the vertical space permits (I may have 40 open at same time) two columns form. I am very jealous of vertical space on screen (refuse the Google tool bar etc. when offered) but do not mind to give up even 2 inches on right side of the screen. Then I can tell the names of ~40 different windows that I have opened and read in their priority to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.