Scrambling for Gas

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

What is wrong with the average American? We are leaving NC to go home Sunday. We drove instead of flying because of all the scuba equipment. Now, we see that just because gas prices are rising due to the hurricane, people have scrambled to the pumps to fill up before hand. They are only going to save on that one fill up and that's it. Plus, they are racing to save a few dollars on gas, yet we saw lines at the stations of drivers with their cars sitting there running with the air on. Oh, that is really saving!

Are Americans this broke that $10 extra on one fill up is going to break them? If so, they need to get second or third jobs.

BTW, has the general public given a thought to the fact that if they deplete all the pumps all of a sudden that emergency vehicles may not have gasoline either???

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Why concern yourself with this? I'm more concerned about how they spend that $10 they "saved" by going to McDonald's or buying the latest celebrity gossip magazine. I bet some used that $10 as a down payment for some rims.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

When people worry, they stock up on gas, even though it is a few gallons, batteries, canned food. Last Wednesday, when Ike was close to Cuba, some of the shelves in WalMart was almost bare...they were mostly canned foods, batteries, pasta, snadwiches and a lot of water.....

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Just a few days ago the gas prices went up at midnight to $1.37.
    The same thing happens here. If it goes down 5cents or so ppl will line up waiting to get gas. I WON"T do it, unless I am running on fumes.
    God it seems so long ago that gas was .89cents.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Our Jeep is gone now, so we bought a VW golf, at least it's good on gas. The jeep was outrageous
    to fill up.

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I saw lines at the pumps on the news as well, the news said these people were trying to get away from hurricanes. But I suppose, to really save, they should've simply walked, with their house pets pulling carts of necessary luggage. And whoever didn't have pets, well, whatever.

9. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I find this to be most amusing. I went out on my crotch-rocket a little while ago just laughing at all of the idiots sitting in long lines waiting to fill their autos up. There are literally lines of cars from starting from the gas stations going all the way up onto the interstates.

Actually I pissed a few people off when I started taking pictures and videos of them from afar. The police have been dispatched to gas stations to direct traffic into the stations and to hold the peace from fights erupting. I will have to post a couple of pics on here to show how truly stupid the average person is.

10. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

When Nixon set the flat price of gas at whatever, that is exactly what happened. Until then, we will be fine. Ever heard of supply and demand? We will be slowly depleted of gasoline, and it would never happen so quickly we could not respond to it unless some government intervention.

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm in Nashville Tennessee.....but I'm not panicking. As a matter of fact, I have been the smuggest driver for the past couple of weeks....

This is mainly due to the fact that I drive a 125cc scooter. My tank holds 1.5 gallons, and I get 89mpg fuel economy (so I can travel ~ 130 miles before needing to refuel). Not only that, but a full tank doesn't really cost me anything (around 6 bucks at the current prices for a weeks worth). I have a couple of gallons stashed away (originally intended for the lawnmower), so I'm good for the next two or three weeks.
    So HA -- stupid cagers, I laugh at thee.....

/sniffs own fart

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But what about those of us who are retired, over 30 percent of the population. We can't get any jobs at our age so just how can you say such a thing?

13. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

If they are retired,they should not have to worry about an additional $10 extra. That's what savings is for.