The television, and Licenses

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Stryder, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

In the UK by law a person who owns a television that can receive broadcasts is suppose to pay a licensing fee. I haven't for a multiple of reasons:

1) I have not the capital
    2) I do not agree with the law

I post this here because I at first ask, Where you are in the world and do you have to pay a license to watch television?

I gather if the EU consists of countries that do not use Licesnsing, then does this mean in the future when the countries come closer together to unite, that a person from say from another country than the UK that happens to stay in the UK has to know about a license? Or will it die a death?

Below is a letter I sent a court that I'm suppose to appear before in 1 month.

(Names and addresses withheld)

Thats how I feel about this law. I'm just after you views and comments on this subject.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Stryder

I doubt you'll win this one. At best they are going to fine you, probably a few thousand pounds.

As I'm sure you well know we don't pay to recieve TV signals in general. We are charged by government to pay for the BBC, being a public service broadcast not funded by advertising. If you have the facility to receive a BBC TV channel, you pay the license fee. End of story.

If you don't have the funds to pay the fee there are other options available, such as monthly direct debit or weekly payments to the post office. If you are student under 25 then you can get a cheaper license payment as part of your parents license. I've done that trick.

Whatever the cause of your financial conditon the courts simply are not bothered if you had a TV and no license.

FWIW, I agree in part with your stance. It's a sucky system we have but, rightly or wrongly, we have to pay. I personally think the Beeb now makes enough revenue to pay for itself. The license fee is a peurile attempt at fleecing the general public. They argue quality of programmes will suffer but I doubt it nowadays. May have been true in 1960's when we only had 1 channel but not in the modern age with hundreds of digital and satellite channels and the Beeb licensing programs abroad.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Yeah, the court doesn't care how you rationalize it. In their eyes, you did something wrong, you get punished.

I like the letter though, it's punchy, witty and to the point. I admire the courage to stand up for yourself.

-Xenu

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

tv licensing?

we dont have that here..... but we do have cable tv. -laughs-. if you want more than two channels, you have to pay about $30 per month. Do have to pay for your channels ontop of your licensing fee?

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I think that as an annual licensing fee that they pay far less per year than we pay. The US is where the money is so we are really hit when it comes to paying for services.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I support you Stryder in your fight.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Emotionally unfortunatelly, I have not a strategic misile to launc at BBC HQ

ar regards payment- I pay 4 punds a month for 48 cable channels.

cheers!

10. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

4 pounds? hmm.... according to currency converter.... thats.. 6 us dollars??? that doesn't seem right..... well.. i hope not.. then im gett ing reallllly ripped off. :bugeye:

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

you are

. It is right. 3.70Ls/month. 1 pound is 0.92Ls
    so it is aproximately 4 british pounds for 48 channels

if you pay some 2 or 3 pounds more you get 60 channels

wait a min i'll get my price sheet if I can find it

no sorry, I can't find it. but I think it was something around 6.70 for 60 channels.

however I have to mind you tht it is illegal cable company.

one of our legal companies provides 40 channels for 4.10 GB pounds, so not much of a difference

Last edited: Jun 26, 2002
  12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what a silly law

the money for the ABC comes directly from the Australian Fed Budget

After all thats what our taxes are for, to paw for public projects and things (ok i can't think of any other word to use that puts health, defence, education, and social secruitys together)

13. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Yes, we have that too. 5 Swedish crowns per day, about half a dollar. I pay , because I didn't use to, and I got so nervous everytime I heard somebody outside the door, or God forbid if someone rang the doorbell, because it could be one of those inspectors, that if you haven't payed the fee, the put a snail on your eye...it's true, ask anyone from Sweden and they will confirm it.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

half a dollar per day???! tht's a total ripoff

15. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

And that is only the license, which includes 3 channels. If you want to see more, which most people do, you have to pay extra 20 dollars per month to see cabel.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Now I undestand why folks from your country come to Estonia (neighbour country to the North) to get cheap alchocol and cigaretts.

I have also heard tht you have the biggest sallaries in all of the Europe though. so maybe half a dollar per day and a + of 20 $ isn't so much for you?

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what silly laws

you should all move here

i ONLY watch free to air TV

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Viva l'Anarchy

19. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Yes, it's not that expensive for most people, but you can still feel pity for me and send me money.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'd prefer vice versa

..........................g'night

21. odin Registered Senior Member

I remember when an old age pensioner converted his TV,to only get the free channels,ie ITV channel 4,but they still did him for it Stryder,so I bet your for the chop mate! it was in all the news papers at the time.

22. odin Registered Senior Member

By the way

It is illegal to drink water that has not been paid for in the UK,the water Co owns all the water that has ever fallen on this land.
    Just the same as its illegal to generate electricity & use it over here,with out a licence from the generating Co.

23. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

thank chu..no.. chuck..hmm..thuc... rrrr.. thank goodness for US!
    public drinking fountains and rabbit eared TV! -laughs-