Free Antivirus

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by nietzschefan, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

http://www.free-av.de/

Anyone using this? I typically use no anti virus on my main system as I find them almost as bad an actual virus in terms of slowing down a machine. In the past I have used Shorty's computer as a honeypot (though she has a scanner usually) and just fix anything that happens on it.

I have only gotten a virus once on my computer and that was just a real stupid running of a program I suspected was screwy and thought I already manually scanned it(using an online scanner).

Shorty found this free AV, when our sub to Trend ran out(Trend I hold in high regard). So far it seems better than Trend and does not seem invasive. She is really good at finding cheap and free shit!

Since I'm running 4 cores on my main system, I decided to install this free AV and it shouldn't bog me down hardly at all. It seems pretty low profile. Using only 66meg while doing an active scan right now and the resident using about 7 meg.

I recommend it if you hate running AV and just use best practices(like I said this has worked for me, except that one time)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

AVG is very good, it's easy to use and it doesn't take up as much resources as Norton, for instance. However, the newest version comes with link scanners, email scanners, and a load of other stuff, which I don't particularly like, but they can be turned off.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

AVG Free Edition is the worst Anti Virus software in the industry.

Over and over again this has been proven in testing for years. The pay AVG isn't much better.

Anytime I see someone suggest AVG as a solution, I realize how little actual knowledge they have on the subject.

http://www.free-av.de/ is the best free Anti virus there is.

And the pay version of Avira is the best there is period.

Though G-Data AVK and AEC Trustport can perform with it, they don't have the small footprint and ease of use that Avira does.

8. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Well through personal experience I can say AVG is very good.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

When was the last time you tried AVG? I wouldn't be surprised if it was back during version 6.5 or so. They've moved on a fair deal since then and are less likely to pick up on so many false positives that other companies pick up on.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I've got no problem with a false positive.

Avira found a virus pattern INSIDE A SYMANTEC SIGNITURE KILLER for that virus.

That is amazing.

11. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I use Avast. I have no complaints about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.