Intellectual dishonesty

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Ok. This seems to be a horrible put down hereabouts. I don't understand. This should not be a vile accusation, more a statement of fact. People are dishonest. Intellectually, emotionally, spiritually. He who lives in glass houses is an exhibitionist that lives in fear of wind storms.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It's reserved for only the most vile.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a vague accusation that serves to demonise people without actually providing any evidence. e.g. its how nietzsche deals with his simple minded girlfriend making a perpetual fool of herself on a forum where he had a pretty good standing before she started talking about his sexual proclivities and dick size.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: There is an abundance of evidence that you have been demonizing people without a shred of evidence. Therefore, you are a liar.

I also think that it is impossible for you to post as many posts per day as you claim. I think there are others who have access to your username who post radical posts on sciforums. There is no possible way you could post all those posts yourself. What kind of game are you playing?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its also how MW deals with her status as a resident crackpot.

9. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

So it's like calling someone a sheep in wolf's clothing? or maybe a clockwork orangutang? It sounds bad, but.. wait...

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Nah, its basically what people resort to when they cannot marshall a real argument.

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Naturally, when such joking posts are then dropped into more serious topics as you are want to do.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Admit it. She made a complete fool of you.

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I was always a fool. It's better than being intellectually dishonest though...

14. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

No.

Edit: Damn, missed it

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

the reason its so powerful is alot of us are uni students and this sort of accusation coming from the university is enough to have us thrown out of the course. Some of us are true scientists and again this is enough to ruin a career

the reason this is is that it means one of 2 things, either you delibratly missrepresented the results of a study or you didnt give credit in a paper. ether way thats enough to end an achademic career

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Nah, you're a nice guy, just overly protective, but that does you credit.

You cannot actually accuse some one of dishonesty in academia without proof. No one will entertain you.

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2002680&postcount=7

I think all scientists do it, at least she admits it.

18. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

but that's madness. Journalists certainly aren't held to such a standard. Why should scientists be?

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Loads of humbug. Most "scientists" are in academia. They hire gradute students [who obviously have very little experience when they come in] to do the grunt work and unless they have an extremely well organised and efficient lab that follows standard protocol [which is not really as common as one would presume] have absolutely no notion of what students are actually doing. People write protocols that make very little sense. For the same method e.g. PCR, every lab has their own protocol and every student adds their own tweaks. Its unavoidable, since no two people will do the same experiment exactly the same way. I've seen unbelievable renditions of very simple things like protein assays which are pretty much idiot proof. I know exactly ONE professor who performs all the experiments for his preliminary data. Everyone else just has to take students on faith. People get their names added to manuscript without lifting a finger, because either they know how to kiss ass or there is some quid pro quo going on, with people padding their CVs with manuscripts and publications, on a I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine basis. I've attended elite conferences where the presenter could not answer BASIC questions about the study. To accuse anyone of intellectual dishonesty would be a complete joke in my opinion. Even if something dishonest were going on, there is no way you could point a finger at anyone. You'd have to be stealing millions of dollars before anyone would actually care. The only people I've seen who were investigated have been those who misused federal funds and even then, there is actually only one person I know of who has served prison time for it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Sam why are you dragging me into this? I'd rather be the resident fool that members like, then the one who everyone can't stand. How many threads are there now about how most members hate you? You still thinking about dick huh? You poor thing maybe if you got off sciforums once in a while you might get lucky.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you did not want to be associated with nietszche you should not have involved him from your first post.

edit
    Still with the gutter mouth, eh?

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Do you honestly think I give a shit what you think?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're the one who's whining here. What do you think?