Sciforums website Blocked!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by 11parcal, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

For some reason this site is blocked on my school computers, being relatively good with computers I pinged it and am writing this from the school, but my question is Why? for what reason is this forum blocked?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Nice one!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't know. Too many idiots possibly? Maybe the filters didn't like Norsefire.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it sets of age censors like Net Nanny. Its blocked in some cafes I frequent too. I keep writing in to those people to re-code it as a science site.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Then we'd have to talk about, you know, science and stuff.

8. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

very possible explanation!

9. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

hahahaa good one.

But that is weird, because when I was in high school, this site wasnt blocked by my school. and why would it be, it IS a science forum.

10. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

When I went to high school I just went to the server, deleted command.com, then turned it off and watched the hilarity ensue. I remember when I was a kid and we decided we wanted fast internet, so we got a 1600 baud modem rather than the cheap 400 baud one. Yep, attaching that thing to the computer was tricky, since we didn't want to have to unplug the cassette drive too.

I would, inreality, suggest that there are a LOT of topics that Jack and Jill Teenager should not be in, at least from a potential liability standpoint.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's to do with how people rate it, unfortunately Fundamentalist's and the usual woo-woo cranks have ways of identifying the content of the site to specific net nanny companies, this is obviously a problem because they know who they reported it to and we don't. Otherwise we'd state which company site to go any make your own assessments of the site to to try and balance their net nanny score.

Here's some sites that deal with filtering etc:
    http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.sciforums.com
    http://www.websense.com/Support/ (use the SurfControl Test-a-Site tool)
    http://filterdb.iss.net/urlcheck/

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  12. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

Or if your filter is dumb enough just pull out the command prompt and type:

Ping www.sciforums.com

take the number it gives you and enter into the address bar, Presto, you've got sciforums

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

That is not the filter being dumb, it just proves that the site was blocked by the URL being entered and not the IP.

14. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

Oh, well then perhaps someone should add sites to this filter by IP as well...

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Hehe If they did that you wouldn't be able to post (well unless you've a proxy planned). anyhow my point was someone has gone out of their way to actually enter the Canonical Domain Name into a filter, this is either because someone had a grudge or because somebody notice someone spending way too much time here.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Our school is a whitelist, and the procedure to apply for a site to be taken in is a bureaucratic nightmare.

17. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

Hmm, well that was the first time I had tried to access this site from school so it wasn't me

18. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

They probably wrote a regular expression that blocked every URL with the word "forum" in it, figuring that students don't need to look at, or post on, forums at school.

19. amark317 game developer-in-training Registered Senior Member

Its not blocked here at my Highschool.
    we have DeepNines as a blockage program, what does yours have?

20. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

It's called Websense

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Okay Websense has Sciforums down in the Category Forums & Blogs. It's possible the school is filtering against Forums and Blogs as a whole and happens to catch sciforum's in the list. I'm guessing therefore that there isn't anything you can do to Websense since it would require a school Administrator to correct should they of course identify that it's a useful site which is non-disruptive to your studies.

Obviously you know that if you have the IP, you can still connect, at least until such time as there is an IP ban but that would require an Administrator to set a ban on this sites IP as opposed to the Generic terming of the site.

22. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

because people use words like fuck,cunt,messy trench and german alot here.

23. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

My school system is retarded, there are several sites blocked due to "Irregular
    Religious Pratice" or something like that, I was looking up some stranger religions (Wicca, Satanism etc.) but most of the websites are blocked however sites about Christianity, Judaism and Muslim got off scot-free

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.