Rave: Random Cool People at the Urgent Care Clinic

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jessiej920, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Where: Evergreen Med. Group
    When: Today, approx. 5:22 pm
    Me: Blonde, pony-tail, peace-sign earrings, and about to die because I think Satan might have impregnated me while I was sleeping
    You #1: New mom with fat little Buddha kid that made me smile
    You #’s 2 & 3: Hip mom with pretty hair and friendly face/ Crazy, teen-age kid in soccer uniform with ADHD who wouldn’t stop making me laugh even though I was dying. You are both awesome.
    You #4: Cute dude in motorcycle outfit with mischievous smile. You told me you liked my earrings. You also tried to hit on me. Kinda’ weird, considering we were at the Urgent Care clinic, but what the hell. I liked you anyway.

It’s official. I think that today I might have ACTUALLY been in labor with the spawn of Satan. I wasn’t really in labor, but it felt like it. It felt like a tiny, evil demon was trying to claw it’s way out of my stomach with its pointy little demon teeth and scratchy little claws. I’ve decided to blame both God and the Devil for this little predicament. Why, you may ask? Well, God “apparently” made me a woman…so I hate him…and I think he hates me. The Devil gets the blame because he must LOVE me and was rude enough to apparently deposit his evil spawn in my tummy for incubation without permission. Yeah, screw you both, you imaginary beings who I like to blame all my issues on. I hate you!!

Yet, the Urgent Care Clinic wasn’t the ninth circle of hell I was expecting it to be.

To #3, the crazy kid who forgot to take his Ritalin…you are my new Urgent Care buddy. By the way, you still owe me ten bucks because X-Box had the first version of Fable, not PS!! Ha! If I ever see you again, you owe me dude. I feel I must also tell you that you made me laugh with your story about how your crazy Christian-school teacher won’t let you Christian-school kids use computers because apparently, after the Rapture, there won’t be any technology left to rely on…not for us pitiful non-believers. It’s even better that you pointed out to her that it won’t matter if there is no Technology for you Christians because you won’t be here after the Rapture happens. Love it. Way to go crazy kid who wouldn't shut up.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

To #4, weird motorcycle dude that was kinda’ cute. You informed me, after I ran into you outside the clinic, that your test came back negative. You said it wasn’t what you THOUGHT it was. Honestly…not cool, dude. Over-share, much? I didn’t ask what you were tested for. I didn’t want to know. Glad it’s negative though. But sorry…you still don’t get a date.

To the people who got into a stellar car accident in the middle of the intersection while I was waiting outside the pharmacy…glad you were both alive and well enough to scream and swear at each other while the cops held you both apart. Thanks for the live entertainment.

Lastly, to the Doc who gave me some killer pain pills for my Demon child from Satan. I love you the most.

Random cool people at the Urgent Care Clinic…you all made my fucking day!!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

The strangest part about your stories is how you transplant the reader's position in the into the role of a central "3rd party".
    I'm not sure whether to think if it as a literary "tic" in your writing style, or a stylization in and of itself. I don't think I've ever read any biographical works where the reader is put into the position opposite of the author in this context. I mean --- if you're doing it intentionally, it's absolute genius IMO.

I dunno --- someone with a strong literary head on their shoulders should post a reply (maybe this is an established style, and I need to read more stuff before making an assessment).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It's called "second person".

First person - I did this.
    Third person - She did this.
    Second person (rarely used) - You did this.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Thank you for the compliment (I think that's what it was)

. I do it intentionally, to answer your question, but maybe it is sort of a 'tic', like you said, when I'm writing biographical works. I think it makes it more personal because I am, in a sense, speaking to the reader as if you are part of the story. I also think it makes it more humorous at times. I like writing rants and raves about the things that happen to me in life. Life amuses me...as do people...maybe I just have a strange sense of humor, but I like to share the strange/funny/awkward/weird things I encounter on a daily basis. please keep reading if you enjoy my style. It would be nice to have a fan

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

No....my reference was correct Raven. I said the 2nd party was being transplanted.
    Jessie was referring to "you" as the target (which is 2nd person), but the character is a 3rd party over which the 2nd party's role is reconfigured into the 3rd party character.

Very interesting. Yes I enjoy it.