Apache with phpBB

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by pluto2, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

If i want to use Apache with phpBB do i need to turn my computer into a server? Does my computer need to be open all the time in order for my forum to run?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blindman Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you intend to use the phpBB software on the Apache Server that you have installed on your OS, then as Blindman put it simply "Yes", you need to have it running and the ports configured (port forwarding or server settings will probably require a static IP for configuration, this being an internal one just outside the range of you routers NAT range) through any router or firewall for "External" people to connect.

You don't have to use the default http port 80 though, some walkthroughs my depict using port 1080, but it can pretty much be any that aren't already in use. (although if you were following specifications you'd keep the port below 1024 since this is where all Dedicated servers are ranged)

You're computer would obviously require to be On and running the server for people to access the forum. Running an kind of server on your home PC does have some setbacks, this is based upon your connection to the internet.

While you might have a 20Mbit line in example, this doesn't mean you have 20Mbits for "Uploading". When you are running a server that is basically what you are doing, when a person accesses your computer they are asking the server to upload pages to them. As you can tell this means they have a limited speed to download with (my 20Mbit only has 768Kbits upload speed (Max of about 76Kbps, although it's usually less.)

In essence if you have one user, then the delay won't be too much of an issue (unless you are serving large files). It's only when multiple users start accessing that it will become a problem. You see on Dedicate servers where they serve website like in example Sciforums.com they have a Cache system to help support the individual servers. Those cache's might hold images or small fragments of non-changing webpage which will be served from the Cache during high load periods. You don't get this with a home server, so be prepared to watch it resort to a crawl in regards to Bandwidth.

(I definitely wouldn't suggest serving a website and torrenting at the same time.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.