Public School pushing other Religions

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by shorty_37, Sep 6, 2008.

?

Do you think they should be Pushing other Religions on Kids at Public School?

1. Yes It's good for them to learn about other Religions

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No It's not their place to be pushing different Religions on our kids

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

My youngest son (grade 2) just brought home his weekend homework folder.
    I am not impressed with his first assignment of the yr to practice this song/poem at home.

Why should he be practicing this? We don't fast...:bugeye:

If you are Catholic you send your kids to Catholic school where they teach them about their own religion.

Why has the public school stopped having the "Christmas" Concerts because some don't Celebrate Christmas, but they are going to Push Ramadan on kids who don't Celebrate it.

I think it's BULLSHIT!

Your thoughts?

RAMADAN

I AM FASTING (tune: Frere Jacque)

I am fasting , I am fasting (point to self on I , cover mouth on fasting)

No more food, no more drink (wave hand for no, hand to mouth pretending to eat food, hand to mouth pretending to hold a glass drink on drink)

I am good all da-ay, I am good all da-ay ( point to self on I, both thumbs up on good)

Fast with me, fast with me
    ( cover mouth on fast, point to self on me)

RAMADAN IS HERE TODAY ( tune: London Bridge is Falling Down)

Ramadan is here today, here today, here today

Ramadan is here today, let's all fast

Everybody fast and pray, fast and pray, fast and pray

Everybody fast and pray, and be good.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I think its great to learn about other religions and their holidays, but the children should not be forced to participate in them if they don't want to. But if they do want to then that's good for them. But learning doesn't mean participating. I celebrated passover once when I was in 7th grade but I did it because I wanted to. I hated it so I won't be doing it again anytime soon, but it was a learning experience.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, it's good; it's also good to teach religious values, but not necessarily any particular religion.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Agreed, mostly. Children MUST learn of as many other religions as possible and that religions beliefs without any bias at all(nobody in the entire school knows what religion my old social studies teacher is). But, you(shorty) are right in saying that it is hypocritical in banning Christmas songs(which I mostly agree with) and still having Ramadan songs. But really, it isn't that big of a deal, probably nobody who organized it actually fasts when they should.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well they should be able to still have the Christmas Concerts and Sing Christmas songs right?

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

If they want, why not?

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

That is what bugs me the most. A few yrs ago they stopped having the Christmas concerts, because there are more and more families here who don't celebrate Christmas.
    Well we don't celebrate all these other holidays so why should my son have to sing songs about Ramadan.
    Who are the schools catering to? If my son is subjected to their traditions or customs shouldn't they have to learn and respect ours, like Christmas?
    Why should our traditions be canceled ,that is what I find absolute BULLSHIT!

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

If you're an atheist, Christmas isn't "your" tradition.

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well because the school stopped that because those who do not celebrate Christmas made a big stink about it.

Why do they expect us to learn their religions but it is not okay for their kids to learn about Christmas?

13. John99 Banned Banned

Well like they say: Be careful what you wish for.

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Meaning? :shrug:

15. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I knew you would think this way, that's why I had trouble saying I agreed with you. Christmas should not be celebrated in public schools. Ramadan shouldn't be either, and just take him out if you care that fucking much, which you apparently do.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Why shouldn't Holidays that promote family and friendship be celebrated in public schools?:bugeye:

17. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I think(and am probably wrong)it meant that you want to celebrate Christmas during winter time. But you also don't want anything else religious celebrated?

18. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

shory :S we go for lunch together, leave behind woes and let us couple :| as friends.... lulz

I think learning about religion is great!!! Look at everyone that doesn't learn about it and they end up religious later on in life, if not devout catholics, etc.... I just love it when the guys not religious, meets a catholic girl, they mate, and then suddenly there's a god lulz

19. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Shit, if I hit a hot catholic girl there's probably a God up there somewhere

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I care only because it's not fair. I have no problem with learning about Ramadan or other cultures /traditions, but I also want him to be able to celebrate our own at school. I would like to see the Christmas concert come back. For those who do not celebrate it they don't have to be involved in it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I am all for learning about religions in school but i am totally against anything resembling practicing or promoting a religion. I am completely against the FCA

22. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Why don't you just take your son out of the Ramadan celebrations? Is it because it doesn't matter at all and all they are trying to do is show respect(however a feeble attempt it may be) for the 3ish kids who actually celebrate Ramadan?

23. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I didn't know they were learning all about it and singing songs until I saw his homework book for the weekend. If they are doing it out of respect for the kids in his class, I want the same respect in December and want to see traditional Christmas songs in his homework book.