Hurricane Ike coming my way!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 6, 2008.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well it looks like Ike will be in my hood by Tuesday with winds of over 120 MPH. They have started evacuating the tourists today and asking residents to evacuate tomorrow. Many residents will stay here, like myself , because we've been through this before and are prepared for the hurricane. I do think that the electricity will get knocked out again, as it usually does with any hurricane. That's the only real problem we have when we stay, no power for two or three weeks. I might just leave after the storm passes by and visit friends up the coast until power is restored but that will have to wait until I see what happens during the storm. We will know more about Ike by late tomorrow as to if we are going to get hit hard or just a glancing blow.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Do you have some kind of inner shelter built just in case,
    or is your house hurricane proof?

If you are just hoping things don't get too bad,
    I would move out if I were you.

btw
    A famous Presidential election lapel button was Eisenhower's "I like Ike"

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

good luck to you cosmic and hope to see you back at the end.

Just rember to clean the bath and then fill it with water so that if the water goes out you have something to drink

And dont forget to board up EVERY window

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

South Florida will henceforth be known as Tina.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

What is the effect of the hurricane on wildlife? Are there a lot of dead animals laying around after one has passed through?

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

thank you all for your concerns.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have hurricane awnings and they have worked well over the past 40 years. I also have bottled water ready to go if the city water fails. I always fill the bathtub with water but thanks for the reminder. This house has seen many a hurricane over its lifetime and has withstood everything that was thrown at it. I'll be safe here but as I said will leave if the power isn't on quickly.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why don't you have a generator?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Because they need to be refueled and must be stopped every 6 hours to let them cool off. There are people who also steal them as well and a few of my neighbors have been taken. The only thing I need power for is my refrigerator. Since I just get rid of anything perishable before the storm hits there's nothing that can go bad. As I also said I'll be traveling away from here after the storm hits more than likely until the power is restored. Generators also are very loud.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Batton down the hatches Cosmic!

I did! I did!

Well, Batton 'em down again...we'll teach those hatches!

Good luck Cosmic...hope you weather the storm.

13. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

yes...storms do ruin everyones fun

14. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

No gas line to your property? That sucks. Standby generators are the shit.

I wish you and your neighbors luck. If I ever built a house in hurricane alley, that place would be a fucking fortress. Insulated concrete forms for exterior walls, polycarbonate windows, and a steel-trussed roof. Bring it on. HUAH.

15. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

We're having hurricane hannah right now, here, she's a pussy, though. Good luck Cosmic.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

the reason i knew about the bath of water was that some of my cousins were in darwin when cyclone tracy hit. Actually now i think he is the libral member for one of the seats in darwin (or possably he used to be) but mum was telling me stories about what they had to do to servive the storm

such a sad story, especially it hitting christmas day

17. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

me thinks a concrete dome would do well in a hairycane

www.monolithic.com

18. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Ha, I've been inside one of those before. Really neat concept. The spherical shape lends great strength, which becomes greater when you consider it is a monolithic concrete casting, as well as being incredibly energy efficient on account of having the highest volume to surface area ratio of any shape. Unfortunately not many contractors know how to build them, and I'd imagine the appraisal and resale values are downright terrible.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

question, isnt the main danger from a cyclone or huricane from the INSIDE not the outside. ie it doesnt get crushed, the air gets inside and builds up until the house explodes.

now if this is true a shere isnt going to help because balls are vulnerable from the inside just as much as any shape

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No they aren't.

But that's not the problem anyway. The biggest problem is stuff getting thrown at your structure. Like cars, or your garage, or the tree across the street.

At least,that's how tornadoes work.

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It's amazing how you guys can do a presidential race and survive a hurricane at the same time.

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Actually I think the greatest danger hurricanes present, is from the storm surge, and flash flooding. More people drown in a hurricane than are killed by wind and debris.

So build that dome on a hill!

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes , flooding is very bad here because we are only 3 feet above sea level.

The houses now are built out of concrete in the newer areas but in Old Town they are still made of wood.:shrug: At least I know my home will stand up to the wind and debris flying about because I've done this many times before now. The water flooding is the concern and depending upon the winds and direction is going to determine just how bad it gets. It looks like Ike has turned more south and west now so we may be out of the worst winds and surge. By tomorrow we will really know for sure as to where it will go.