Replacing Motherboard

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I just realized that I can pick up a new motherboard for 40-60$ on Ebay. I assume it is not really hard to change it. Is there anything I have to watch out for?

Also, just how different a MB can I get? Since I want to use the old memory, HD, DVDRW and power supply, even if I go with a sligthly different one I can get a DVD driver for it. So it should be a piece of cake, right?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

You missed the most important thing. The CPU. Make sure the MB chipset matches the CPU. --And uses the same RAM. AND accomodates whatever video card you have (or has internal video)

Why do you want to get a new MB? I'm pretty sure the MB alone will do nothing to increase performance.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The old one died.(most likely) I already got a new power supply, and for an extra $50-60 I would have a working computer.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Good point, I am not sure how I do that. CPU is Intel 2 G Celeron....

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd go to a good MOBO manufacturer and match up the right MOBO with the processor you have and get a look at some of the optional boards that you can choose from for better RAM and sound and other extra stuff that a better MOBO will give you. Here's a link to my MOBO manufacturer so take a look and see what they have to offer you and there prices plus they give you a warranty as well, does EBay?

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...t&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNHTP4EXa6Be_avH6aQZdO6RwKA6kw

ASUS is the name of the company.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  9. John99 Banned Banned

there is only one way to match a cpu to a motherboard and the answer has already been given.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

11. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

It'll tell you what FSB speeds its compatible with. Normally a motherboard rated at 800mhz will be compatible with anything lower than that too.

But that motherboard you linked is for AMD CPU's. You need an Intel based motherboard if your CPU is a Celeron, which (IIRC) is socket 478. These are the motherboards you should be looking at:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=12

Or:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_List.aspx?VenderType=Intel&CPUType=socket 478

Go for one with an Intel chipset.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Bingo!

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys, finally I decided and got the EASIEST solution: I have just bought the WHOLE computer for $81 on Ebay! Instead of messing around with MoBos and transfering files, I got pretty much the same type of computer and I will just put in the old HD (or swap them). This way the storage doubled. Also now I have spareparts and plenty of memory....

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Today the computer has arrived. The bidding was actually very smooth, I put a maximum price of $100 and went out. When I came home, I had the highest bid and didn't need to use all of it. The guy sent it on Monday. I switched the HDs, kept the old one with the data, also the power supplies and some memory. So here it is the whole cost:

-New power supply: $30
    -"New" computer: $81
    -New wireless keyboard and mouse : $20 (this was a steal today from RadioShack)

-Figuring it out and doing it by yourself: PRICELESS!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh yes, the MoBo itself would have costed $90-100, and this way I didn't need to mess with installing Windows and datatransfer...

So now the kid's computer has more memory, actually 2 HDs, and new keyboard/mouse. For some reasons the old keyboard didn't want to work so I just decided to get a new. If the whole system works for another year, I am happy....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.